Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2013, 10:01 AM   #1

Share |

Advice for setting mosaic hexagon floor tile?

Hi again all; the bathroom rehab continues unabated!* My next step in the gut rehab is tiling the floor.

We've decided on some old-school hexagon black and white porcelain mosaics, similar to the original floor. The only difference is that the originals were matte; we're using the tiles with the glossy finish.

I've done a lot of tiling (relatively speaking of course - I'm not a pro, but I did cut my teeth on tiling by working for one of those old Italian immigrant pros when I was in HS... learned to do things right!) I don't recall ever installing mosaic tile however.

Any tips you experts care to share? We'll be using a grey grout, so I have the grey modified thinset. I understand I should get a trowel with short grooves, like 1/8"? I assume that I'll need to "straighten out" the edges, i.e., take the angles off the tiles where the 12x12 mats meet the wall / tub. Do you use the wet saw for that, or since the tiles are so small, just use a set of nippers? Thanks!

*I have been photographing the project pretty much day by day from it's ugly beginnings to it's (hopefully) beautiful completion. I'm new to this site - Do members here post up timeline picture shows of their DIY conversions? I'd be happy to share all my pain with y'all if that kind of thing is welcome...
Attached Images

Andiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #2
DIY staff

1/8 x1/8 x 1/8 square notch is usually a good size---a flat floor helps avoid 'ballooning"

That is the situation when the grout lines get wider as the floor rises--

Those are one of the more difficult tiles to set----keeping the grout spacing even can be time consuming--and impossible if the sheets are not perfect.

Old 02-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
"You can do anything"-Mom

Heck Yeah! Post it in the project showcase section.
brockmiera is offline   Reply With Quote