Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2012, 02:55 AM   #1

Share |

advice on entryway tile subfloor

I am renovating my living room and wanted to expand my small tile entryway into the living room.

Currently there are 4x4 tiles that will be removed. They are on a .5" plywood subfloor with .5" plywood as an underlayment. The tile and underlayment will be removed and I will put plywood back down so the entryway floor and the living room floors are level.

The living room subfloor consists of .5" plywood with .5" chip board on top. (Its not OSB. It looks like MDF but with larger fibers.)

What I'm wondering is can I put my cement board down on top of this? Or can I sandwitch it with a piece of .375" plywood then the concrete board?

I am installing 12x12 ceramic tile. About 40 sq ft.

Last edited by Novice_DIY; 07-19-2012 at 05:54 AM. Reason: Typo
Novice_DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:37 AM   #2

I would get rid of all of that down to the floor joist. Install Advantec subflooring, then Subfloor rated 3/8 plywood, 1/4 tile board set in a bed of thin set spread with a toothed trowl then the tile.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:03 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
I would get rid of all of that down to the floor joist. Install Advantec subflooring, then Subfloor rated 3/8 plywood, 1/4 tile board set in a bed of thin set spread with a toothed trowl then the tile.
Why go down all the way to the joist? Why not leave the plywood sub and add the rest on top? Is it for floor height or something else? Im just curious. Thanks for the reply.
Novice_DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #4

1/2 plywood and what ever that junk is they used is not a sutable subflooring for tile. Tile can not flex at all
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote