Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-27-2011, 10:29 AM   #1

Share |

Acrypro

We purchased Acrylpro from a tile store that has an excellent reputation. The contractor and I were at the store and made the purchase together after it was recommended by the sales personnel. At this point the entire shower plus bathroom floor have been installed with this product but not grouted. The tile on the shower walls is a ceramic 6x6; the floor of the shower and bathroom is a marble. The issue we are having is the curing/drying of the product...some areas are not setting up after a week of curing. I decided to go online to see what is up, and I see many, many postings mostly saying that Acrylpro is a horrible product, but there are some saying it is fine.

If this product had been purchased at HD, I would say we get what we deserve, but who knew that a high-end store that sells only tile and tile products would be suspect! Any suggestions/comments given that the tile is down, but not grouted.

irxprt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:56 AM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Acrypro

Ouch!

First, let me say I am not an expert. I have just been reading these forums for waaaay too long.

A premixed mastic has very limited applications. In a kitchen backsplash with small tiles it would be OK. It's not recommended for larger tiles, and definitely not in a wet area like a shower (even if the bucket says it can). At this point, I dunno what to tell you. Removing it would be best. If you want to cross your fingers and leave it, it will take a long time to cure.

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 11:31 PM   #3
Tileguy

Acrypro

Quote:
We purchased Acrylpro from a tile store that has an excellent reputation.
Oh really, I don't think so. But maybe you got a rookie on his second day of work. You will know how reputable they are when you go back and tell them they messed up.

I can definitely tell you the floor and lower areas such as the curb and bottom couple of rows have to be removed. The wall tiles should be removed too, but it's possible it'll work out for you. However, one grout crack left unattended and you may have problems.

It's also important how the shower pan was built and what is on the walls. Any vapor barrier or waterproofing? Please let us know in detail what was done, any pics?

You said you and the contractor bought the materials. I'm thinking the contractor is not a tile contractor...right? A tile contractor would not have used that "stuff" in a shower.

You hired a handyman didn't you?

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 05:37 PM   #4
Tileguy

Acrypro

...and I'll bet the tile is porcelain tile.

I can tell you right now - it will not last in the shower. Jaz is correct and what he suggested you should remove you should remove.

So give us some details on how the shower was constructed.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tile adhesives, tile floor, tile installation