Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-10-2013, 12:13 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

6 mil plastic on plywood?

1/4" backer board on 1/2" plywood attached to studs.

Do I need to install a layer of 6 mil plastic (aka vapor barrier) in between or is that a bad idea? I heard some people say it is actually not a good idea because it would create a mold sandwich between the backer board and plastic.

What are your thoughts?

jackwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 05:24 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,126

What is this? A wall, floor?
What room is it in?
Inside, outside?

Old 11-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,000

It's a very bad idea regardless what it is. But please let us know what you're trying to do and we can set you in the right direction.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
What is this? A wall, floor?
What room is it in?
Inside, outside?
Bathroom inside. Wall. I am going to tile the bathtub/shower and half a wall behind toilet and sink. I installed 1/2" plywood on the studs. Plan to install Hardie Backer on top of that. Should I install a 6 mil plastic in between the plywood and backer board or not?
jackwashere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 11:39 PM   #5
Tileguy

Okay, I'm gonna pretend you didn't see my answer.

Plywood in a damp wall area is not a good plan, but if it's done, well...........?

Never put plastic between boards. The vapor retarder should have been installed on the studs already. But the best waterproofing is surface applied, such as Kerdi membrane or a liquid membrane such as Redgard or Hydroban.

Which Hardie will you be using? Hardie 500 I hope.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
Old 11-11-2013, 08:20 AM   #6
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,006

Right, I would not have put plywood on the walls under the backer.

As Jaz suggests, it'd be better to put a waterproofing membrane on the backer and not use any poly at all. I've used Redgard and it works well. Yes, you paint it onto the backer and then apply thinset and tiles to it. Yes, it does hold, QUITE well. The upside is you can make a perfectly sealed wall. It costs more than plastic, but it's worth it.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 12:19 PM   #7
Tileguy

I don't like the use of poly or even tarpaper on the studs under backer at all. It's a very confusing application that has lots of "ifs" and other conditions. The rules change according to location within the house and geographically.

Plus a vapor retarder on the studs is NOT a vapor barrier and is definitely NOT waterproofing. Waterproofing a wall is done with surface membranes properly applied.

Speaking of "properly applied". Many people, (including many pros), do not use liquid membranes correctly, they do not apply enough film thickness. Be sure to read the directions for the requirements. Liquid membranes such as Redgard and Hydroban require at least 2 coats and possibly 3. You should get a wet-film gauge to measure as you apply it. It's a very simple tool.

http://laticrete.blogspot.com/2011/0...ilm-gauge.html

Jaz