2x6 Joist Spacing And Subfloor Thickness For Shower Pan - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-26-2011, 01:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

2x6 Joist Spacing and Subfloor Thickness for Shower Pan

We are putting in a shower in our bathroom remodel. Actually will be basically a fully tiled wet room. The dimensions will be about 40" x 10' (mud shower pan over entire area). I am putting in a whole new floor, joist and all, and the span is the 40". One side will be resting on a wall, the other side the joists will be hung using strong-ties or the like. because of height issues upstairs I plan to use 2x6 joists.

Can I do the typical 16"o.c. for 2x6 joists w/ a 40" span under the shower pan?

What subfloor thickness should I use? I had originally thought 1" plywood, but I think this will be harder to find. Can I use 3/4"? Should I use 2 layers of 1/2"? If so, what if anything between the layers?

Would I be beter w/ 12" o.c. joists where the wall studs are offset from 2 of 3 joists?

Basically since right not it is an empty space, I want to know what is the "right" way to do it.

Thanks for the input,

Richard

Advertisement

rjschwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

Quote:
Can I do the typical 16"o.c. for 2x6 joists w/ a 40" span under the shower pan?
Yes.

Quote:
What subfloor thickness should I use?
3/4" minimum.

Quote:
Would I be better w/ 12" o.c. joists where the wall studs are offset from 2 of 3 joists?
Won't matter.

Quote:
One side will be resting on a wall, the other side the joists will be hung using strong-ties or the like.
There's the concern. It would be better if both ends of the joists where resting on a sill or beam. Hangers tend to move a little. Not the best thing for a rigid shower and tile installation. IMHO

Why aren't the floor joists already in place?

Advertisement

Old 03-01-2011, 07:34 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Is there any way to alleviate the movement from the hangers? I will have to look some more when I get home, but i don't think there will be any getting around using hangers. I plan to use blocking, and I suppose I could put 2 pieces of blocking between each joist.

The way it is currently set up is that there is a 2x8 flush with the top plate of the wall from the floor below, so the doubled up 2x4's are perpendicular to the 2x8 running the full length of the shower area. I will have to double check when I get home if this can be removed. I guess I could attach a 2x4 or a 2x6 to act as a "shelf" and rest the joists on that , but that seems as if it would be the the same result as using hangers if I can't rest the other end of each joist directly on the wall below additionally, in the room below, there would now be a bump in the wall which wouldn't be ideal.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Richard
rjschwar is offline   Reply With Quote