Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-31-2010, 06:32 PM   #1

Share |

20x20 Porcelain Tile over Linoleum on Concrete Slab

Ok, let me start by saying I've read quite a few posts both here on diychatroom and on other websites/forums and seen conflicting information. I'm looking to install 20x20 porcelain tile in our kitchen (including the laundry room and half bath) and the entire area is currently covered in linoleum. Here's some important info:
  • House was built in 2003
  • House is on a poured concrete slab
  • Linoleum is glued directly to slab
The other day, I stopped by Home Depot and the guy working in the flooring department said he had installed many tile floors. I told him my situation and he RECOMMENDED that I leave the linoleum on, saying that because the poured concrete foundation is less than 10 years old, it may still move. He said that in Nevada this will meet code. He also told me I needed to use FlexBond thinset as it was the only one that would bond to the linoleum.

Most of what I have seen online says I should remove the linoleum first, but most of those posts were 5+ years old (from 2003'ish).

So, with all that said, I'm looking to get the experts opinion's about installing on top of the linoleum. I'm thinking that it will be very difficult to remove the linoleum so I would rather leave it. I was expecting to have to pull it up, actually, but since the guy at Home Depot told me otherwise, I'm now unsure what to do.

Thanks in advance for the help... I'm looking to install the tile this weekend.

-Scott

scbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
Tileguy

Quote:
The other day, I stopped by Home Depot
Big mistake.
Quote:
I told him my situation and he RECOMMENDED that I leave the linoleum
Bad idea.
Quote:
He said that in Nevada this will meet code.
There is no such code. This procedure WILL NOT meet the TCNA code.
Quote:
He also told me I needed to use FlexBond thinset as it was the only one that would bond to the linoleum.
NONSENSE, that's another crock.
Quote:
Most of what I have seen online says I should remove the linoleum first,
So do it.
Quote:
I'm thinking that it will be very difficult to remove the linoleum so I would rather leave it.
Of course you would. We all would.
But......
Quote:
I was expecting to have to pull it up, actually, but since the guy at Home Depot told me otherwise, I'm now unsure what to do.
Never never never ask for advice from a Home Depot employee. And above all else...never apply what they have told you.

REMOVE THE VINYL (Or linoleum if that's what it really is) It isn't that difficult.

Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 06:54 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Never never never ask for advice from a Home Depot employee. And above all else...never apply what they have told you.

REMOVE THE VINYL (Or linoleum if that's what it really is) It isn't that difficult.
Thanks for the reply Bud!

Ok, so if I need to pull up the existing floor (vinyl or linoleum or whatever it is), do I need to prep the slab with anything before throwing thinset on top and laying the tile?

Also, I should point out that while I consider myself a good diy'er, I have absolutely no tile experience. I've just watched WAY too much home improvement TV. I do, however, have a lot of experience with computers and electronics and using Bud's logic, I would NEVER walk into a Frys electronics or Best Buy and ask them how to setup my home network or how to upgrade the motherboard in my computer. Point well taken, Bud.

I'm stopping by Home Depot on my way home tonight to pick up a scrapper (sp?) and will pull up my floor tonight. Wish me luck... I really don't want to pull up some of the floor and find out it's REALLY stuck in certain places.

Thanks again.

-Scott
scbauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
Tileguy

To help you to remove the floor covering you can cut the flooring in straight lines about 12 to 16 inches apart. Once you have a lift started you can usually pull up the strips without too much trouble. The problem is the flooring material has a backer called "felt". The felt is going to stay on the substrate in most places. THAT is where the work begins. Probaly the besy DIY type tool for removing the felt is a 3 or 4 inch wallpaper scraper (razorblade sharp) with a long handle. Long - being about eighteen inches. This way you can get both hands on that sucker and scrape away. It isn't really that difficult but it is labor-intensive.

A trick is to wet the felt, soak that sucker. No older than that floor is, the adhesive will likely reimulsify some on its own, that's a good thing.

Home Depot sells a pretty good floor scraper that uses an eight inch razor balde and has an extendable handle. The head is angled. The smaller wallpaper scraper is also needed.

With either scraper the blades will seem to wear quickly but if you keep turning them over after a fews strokes they will last a long time.

If residue remains...there are tile thinsets that can be used over the remaining residue. Don't cheap-out on the thinset. Buy modified thinset.
Bud Cline is online now   Reply With Quote