Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-14-2014, 10:56 PM   #1

Share |

2" step up , how to over come?

In a few months I'm gonna tear out the kitchen down to the joists (and correct my if any of this should be different) replace all the subfloor with 3/4 younger and groove. Lay down ditra. Maybe even the heated floor ditra stuff? And tile.

My big problem, is the house had a back porch on it in the past with a door way in the kitchen. It was later framed in and is now the laundry room. It for some reason was built about 1 1/2"-2" higher than the rest of the house.

Before I moved in, some jack leg put plywood over the existing subfloor in both the kitchen and laundry room. Making a huge toe stubbing ramp entering the kitchen from the dining room. (Close to 3" high) and in the threshold between the kitchen and laundry room you can feel where the plywood meets and isn't level.

Short of completely removing and redoing the entire laundry room, I don't know how to level it out to tile both rooms. I did see over the weekend a friend who had basically the same problem, his bathroom was 2" higher than the hallway, and his tile guy slightly slopped the tile to where you couldn't tell unless you knew. I don't really know how he would accomplish that, and the tile last?

So looking for any ideas, experience, etc.

Thanks.

fallvitals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:01 PM   #2

Can you post a picture?

Seattle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 11:24 PM   #3

Okay, this is from the dining room going into the kitchen. I believe this can be made level easily. Further back in the photo is the doorway to the laundry room where the step up will be once I redo the subfloor in the kitchen. The jack leg made that ramp pictured to try and level those out without doing any real work is say.

I know the Landry room is built higher by going under the house. Unfortunately I don't think pictures would help out in this post from that angle, and I don't believe there are any other pictures I could provide from the kitchen to laundry room that can help here. But that said the picture shows the height issue I am going to continue to have in the kitchen to laundry room doorway once I redo the subfloor.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
2" step up , how to over come?-image.jpg  
fallvitals is offline   Reply With Quote