1/4" Cement Board ? - Tiling, ceramics, marble - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Flooring > Tiling, ceramics, marble

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4,514

1/4" cement board ?

is there any negative issues with this ? i am pondering/planning my kitchen/dining room flooring. i know 1/2 would be better. but a minimal transition would be beneficial. this would be over 3/4 plank sub with 1/2 ply on that.

also. my kitchen and dining have a 1/8" difference. could i put thicker layer of thinset (or whatever its called) under the CB to make up the difference ?

Advertisement

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2015, 05:26 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,096

1/4" cement board ?

I wouldn't worrying about the floors matching up perfectly when they're that close. I always use some sort of transition threshold. For tile I like to use marble thresholds with a bevel on each of the long edges. Instead of the 1/4" cement board I would recommend using Ditra by Schluter. They have two different thicknesses available. Good product and easy to work with as long as you read and follow directions. Videos available on their website.
Mike Hawkins

Advertisement

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
Fix'n it (08-30-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 11:18 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 4,038

1/4" cement board ?

No problem with 1/4" vs. 1/2" CBU. But anyway, Ditra. If there is a height issue at the transition, yes you can make that up to a small extent with thinset under the tiles at the edge.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 09:39 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 3,706

1/4" cement board ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it
i know 1/2 would be better. but a minimal transition would be beneficial.
Actually " is preferred and made for floors. I agree that Ditra would be my preferred way to go though. Alternatively if you wanna keep the floor lower, you could removed the planks and install " subfloor instead, but that's more work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it
.....also. my kitchen and dining have a 1/8" difference. could i put thicker layer of thinset (or whatever its called) under the CB to make up the difference ?
No, that's not gonna work so good. You might try several layers of tarpaper laid in a ramping fashion or apply a bit of thinset over the cbu, then backbutter the tiles a bit too. Need to be careful not to create a new hump.

Jaz

DITRA Installs - KERDI Watertight-Mold-Free Showers. I have NEVER made a mistake, I thought I did ONCE, but, I was WRONG! A+ BBB rating - est. 1987 - over 50 yrs. exp.
JazMan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JazMan For This Useful Post:
Fix'n it (09-02-2015)
Old 09-01-2015, 09:50 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 4,038

1/4" cement board ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fix'n it View Post
could i put thicker layer of thinset (or whatever its called) under the CB to make up the difference ?
Sorry, I missed that you said CB here. I answered "yes", then talked about putting it under the tile, not the CB.

You can't put more thinset under CB because it's screwed down tight to the floor. In general you can put more thinset under tile in certain situations - specifics depend on the details.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
Fix'n it (09-02-2015)
Old 09-02-2015, 08:17 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 4,514

1/4" cement board ?

thanx fella's. i am working to finish my laundry/1/2 bath room ( i seriously underestimated this room). but it should be pretty much done this weekend. then i will be seriously looking to do this dining room/kitchen floor. i still do not know if it is flat enough for tile.

Advertisement

Fix'n it is offline   Reply With Quote