Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-19-2010, 05:58 PM   #1

Share |

Zero entry shower on concrete pad

I am remodeling my master bathroom and want to do a zero entry shower. What do I need to do to install this type of shower? The drain is in the middle of the pan currently.

dkealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:56 PM   #2
DIY staff

By zero entrance---do you mean curbless?

If so you will need to cut open the slab --remove the concrete in the new shower area---add a new floor drain just outside of the shower-

Add a new shower drain(Schluter is the easiest) build the new pan with deck mud--sloped to the drain.

Add your backer to the walls---patch all voids with thinset--Then waterproof the walls/pan/bathroom floor,with HydroBan by Latacrete.--

That is a very brief description of the steps in building a curbless shower on a slab.---Mike---

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 02:45 PM   #3

1) I'm looking to do a curbless tile shower in my remodel. I've toured several new model homes in the area to get ideas and have not seen a floor drain outside the shower. Is this necessary?

2) My home was built in the 70's, and there is no membrane installed in the current shower. I had planned to install a new drain (will have to relocate it a short distance to be in center of new shower) without the use of a membrane. This is a first floor (no basement) installation. House is on a slab. Is there any reason why I can't forego the membrane?

3) I'd like to tile the bathroom floor to the same level as the shower entrance so there's a smooth transition. What is the correct way to elevate the bathroom floor before tiling? Can I just glue concrete board and fine adjust with the thickness of thinset as I lay tile?
Falconag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 10:28 PM   #4

I think you'll get more help starting a whole new thread.... rather than adding to one essentially finished.
bareshiyth is offline   Reply With Quote