Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-09-2005, 09:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Woodchip paper stripping

Hi

will be moving into my first place next month and every room is woodchip paper, even some of the ceilings! Ive been told its a ***** to strip off, especially if it has a few layers of paint over it any ideas?
Some people have suggested a steam strippers whilst others just soak the wall and scrape...
so i thought id ask the experts!
cheers in advance
glen

glenbat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 05:36 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

Woodchip paper stripping

Hi Glen

Both suggestions are good their are also some stripers that could be tried. Since their are so many types of walls, glues, paint over and under. Their is no easiest way for all cases. I would try easiest or cheapest ways first and then go on if the surface is being stubborn. I have seen cases were paper has been pulled off dry! (if the adhesive has somewhat failed). Basically it can be a pain, but not always.

My first attempt if it doesn't seem like it would come of dry (ha ha) would be to put about 1/4 cup liquid fabric softener in a pail of warm/hot water and repeatedly dampen a area until the paper softens then peel and lightly scrap. (they actually make perforators to make this process quicker) a perforator makes many small holes threw the surface to help the liquid or in the case of a steamer steam into the lower layer.

Good Luck