Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #1

Share |

Wonderboard behind acrylic surround?

Do you have to use wonderboard behind an acrylic shower surround, or will normal greenback drywall work? We are having a slight disagreement over this. No tile, just acrylic surround and acrylic tub

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
TrailerParadise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #2

is this a panel kit? is it the factory sides of a multi piece shower surround? most of the tub that come with the walls don't need anything behind them, they are attatched by the flange around the edge and either bolt or have some kind of clip to lock them to the tub.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:48 PM   #3

Depends, there's two types glue on and nail on.
Gule on use green board or paper less. Nail on use nothing behind then just at the top and sides where you use green board.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:04 PM   #4

Its a 5-panel kit from Lowes. You glue it on using Tub and Shower Surround Adhesive. they told me that Liquid Nails wont work, you have to use the special adhesive. So then i dont have to get wonderboard? Thats great. I will make sure to screw the tub to the studs this time though, LOL the previous owner just kind of set it in there and hooked up the drain and called it a day, i guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:10 PM   #5

Use galvinized roofing nails instead, A screw will stick out to far and kick out the panels.
I use this to attach the panels to the walls.
http://www.loctiteproducts.com/p/12/...n-Adhesive.htm

No smell, no degassing, water clean up.

Use blue tape to hold the seams in place until it drys.
Use a rolling pin over the panels to make sure there making 100% contact to the wall.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:26 PM   #6

I highly recommend not using drywall.

Here's my experience. almost 30 years ago I installed my 1st 3-piece tub surround in my bathroom and did it over regular drywall. I eventually had moisture problems (after a few years), and after patching things once or twice, I eventually redid it using water resistant drywall (something I didn't know existed the 1st time). I was very careful to "do it right" this time.

Well, I eventually had moisture problems again. It may have lasted longer then the regular drywall, but I was not impressed. It's not like this stuff failed immediately, but I think bathrooms should last more than 5 or 10 years.

About 8 years ago, I completely redid that bathroom again. This time I used cement backer board and put up another 3-piece kit (I prefer the surrounds over tile). I've learned my lesson, and will never put drywall in a shower again. The cement board is a little more work and a little more money, but well worth it.

Edit: I just wanted to add that my tub/shower was on 2 outside walls (an outside corner), so the drywall was sandwiched between a vapor barrier and the tub surround. Any moisture that got into the drywall was going to have a real hard time getting out. You may have better luck if your surround is on inside walls.

Last edited by wrongdave; 01-14-2013 at 02:53 PM.
wrongdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 03:13 PM   #7

My surround has the longest part on an exterior wall and the two short parts on interior walls, the bathroom is sandwiched between the two bedrooms. On the long exterior part, there is a window that we will have to open during showers. Does the cement board hold up better against moisture than the greenback drywall? If so i can get those, i can fit those in my car. Drywall i have to have delivered.