Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 11:15 PM   #1
Member
 
Homerepairguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 735
Share |
Default

Will this bath vent routing work?


We have a ranch style home with gable ends. I want to install a vent into the bedroom's bathroom that has a tub/shower combo. This bathroom is 4.5' W x 9.5' L x 8' high. Web calculator says it needs a 45.6 CFM vent fan but I want to be sure the mirror doesn't fog up when I take a shower. I want to run the vent in the attic, over the bedroom to the gable end. The total distance from the fan to the gable end will be about 14 feet.

Questions are:
1. Which CFM vent fan should I buy so the mirror doesn't fog up? (I want a quiet one.)

2. Is a 14' vent run too long for a bath vent?

3. If 14' is OK, what diameter "smooth" vent pipe should I use?

4. What slope does the vent pipe need toward the gable end for condensation run off?

Thanks,
HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:04 AM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Wilmington, DE
Posts: 3,114
Default

Will this bath vent routing work?


I aim for at least 1.5 times the square footage in CFM. So I would say at least a 75CFM fan. For quiet fans check Broan, Panasonic. If doing more than one bathroom look at Fantec.

14' is a very long run. If all straight, up the size of the fan. Each elbow adds 6' to the effective length of the pipe run. Use 3 or 4" smooth wall(rigid) pipe(aluminum OK), depending on what the fan outlet is.

As long as it slopes slightly away, that is OK. Insulating the pipe helps keep moisture liquid.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 12:51 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 238
Default

Will this bath vent routing work?


I would really think twice about venting to the gable. your much better off venting out through the roof. running a 14 ft ridgid vent to you gable is just asking for trouble in my opinion. How will you secure it? It def needs to be insulated or it will drip condensation somewhere. i would go through the roof. Its really not a big deal to do.
organick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
Member
 
Homerepairguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 735
Default

Will this bath vent routing work?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
I aim for at least 1.5 times the square footage in CFM. So I would say at least a 75CFM fan. For quiet fans check Broan, Panasonic. If doing more than one bathroom look at Fantec.

14' is a very long run. If all straight, up the size of the fan. Each elbow adds 6' to the effective length of the pipe run. Use 3 or 4" smooth wall(rigid) pipe(aluminum OK), depending on what the fan outlet is.

As long as it slopes slightly away, that is OK. Insulating the pipe helps keep moisture liquid.
Thanks for your very informative info. There will probably be two elbows. One to go up from the fan and one to go horizontal to the gable end. I guess I should go with a 100+ CFM fan if I go with the 14' run and I'll use smooth wall 4" aluminum pipe.

Thanks again,
HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #5
Member
 
Homerepairguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 735
Default

Will this bath vent routing work?


Quote:
Originally Posted by organick View Post
I would really think twice about venting to the gable. your much better off venting out through the roof. running a 14 ft ridgid vent to you gable is just asking for trouble in my opinion. How will you secure it? It def needs to be insulated or it will drip condensation somewhere. i would go through the roof. Its really not a big deal to do.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I want to avoid punching a hole through our roof since it would void the warranty for our recent roofing job. I could call the roofing company and have them do it but that would involve more $$$ than I want to spend for this bathroom vent. So I guess it has to be the gable end vent, or stay the way it's always been.

Thanks again,
HRG
Homerepairguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 238
Default

Will this bath vent routing work?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Homerepairguy View Post
Thanks for taking the time to respond. I want to avoid punching a hole through our roof since it would void the warranty for our recent roofing job. I could call the roofing company and have them do it but that would involve more $$$ than I want to spend for this bathroom vent. So I guess it has to be the gable end vent, or stay the way it's always been.

Thanks again,
HRG

yeah the warranty makes it tough. just something to consider is if that vent ever malfunctions and allows all that humid air to escape in the attic you will have issues in a short time period icluding mold and wood rot. just saying that 14 ft of solid insulated pipe with 2 elbows leaves alot of potential problems and thats if you manage to keep the vent going out the gable.

Just my 2cents. good luck
organick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 Bathroom fans to 1 roof vent? theatretch85 Kitchen & Bath Remodeling 13 12-15-2013 08:25 AM
Vent Bath Exhaust to Cold Air Return? brandon272 HVAC 12 03-28-2011 05:11 AM
Where to vent bath fan Ineedhelp2009 Electrical 8 03-17-2009 01:06 PM
finishing a basement bath - tie in to ejector pump vent? ajbowman Plumbing 7 04-15-2008 12:09 AM
Yoke vent for water closet kenlog Plumbing 4 07-13-2007 06:34 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.