DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Where do I make my tile cuts for the wall?

5K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  petsparkle 
#1 ·
I'm tiling a bath enclosure. I'm using 6x6 tile, and 12 x 3.5 edging tile.

I am going to have to cut something back by 5/8 to fit the wall. Where do I make that cut? Should it be from the last course of 6x6 tiles before I get to the edging tile at the top, or do I cut it from the edging tile (but then I'd have to cut the edging tile around the side of the tub to match and that's a LOT of cuts). Or, do I cut it from the 6x6 at the first course above the tub?

My gut feeling is the last 6x6 row before the edging tile at the ceiling, but I don't know if that will look weird. We've got a border going around the enclosure that is below the third 6x6 course from the top. So from the ceiling it goes: edge tile followed by 3 rows of 6x6, then 3.25" decorative border, then back to the 6x6 for 8 more rows). I've got the tile 1/4" up from the tub. Does it need to be higher or lower than that? If so, that will adjust the cut measurement.

#2 ·
Not sure i understand the question. The main field should have equal cuts on the edges, the border can be against the wall, or you could have a row of partial field tiles around the edge, lots of ways to do it. Dry lay out what you think you want first, move things around until you are happy with the layout, then you will know what and where to cut.

#3 ·
Sorry I wasn't so clear. The wall tile requires one line of the field tile to be cut back by 5/8 for the height. Do I even it out so I have a cut on the top row and on the tub level row? Or do I make the full cut at the top row, or a full cut at the bottom row. It would work out easier for me to have the full cut at the bottom row. I can't exactly lay it out since it's the 60" wall above the tub. Is there a "rule" on which you usually cut. I don't want to cut at the bottom and it look unprofessional because of that.

#4 ·
Do to the fact that most tubs are not perfectly level, the bottom row is cut and and placed in last. More than likely the top row will also have to cut for the same reason mostly do to the sheet rock corners. If the tub is level start at the bottom with a full tile and 1/8" gap.

#6 ·
If the tub is level start at the bottom with a full tile and 1/8" gap.
Doesn't matter if the tub is level or not, the joint depends on the look and type of tile used, you still wouldn't want a sliver cut at the ceiling or the floor if the tile continues around the room, you want to try and have at least a 1/2 or more tile cut if possible were they end.

#7 ·
The tile is only in the tub alcove. I've remeasured and I need to make a 1" cut. Because of where my husband put the DUK liner, to center that I'm going to have to put the cut row at the bottom of the tub. I hope it doesn't look weird having a 5" tile row and then everything above it 6". The tub is level by the way.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.