Whats The Best Way To Remove Grout? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 81

Whats the best way to remove grout?

I am looking to re-grout my shower. Its tub sized with 4"x4" ceramic(?) tiles. I would like to remove all of the grout and add fresh grout. This is our only shower so I need to get this done without spending more than weekend of so. I have experience grouting, just not sure what to expect removing the old stuff.

What is the fastest and best way to remove the grout? I have a dremel. Is an oscillating tool better? hand grout saw?

How much time can I expect remove it all?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement

Total Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:57 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 628

I'd use the ossilating saw with the diamond grit blade.
Not sure how your going to remove it, install new, give it time to dry and seal it all in one day.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:10 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 81

I dont want to do all of that in one day. I'd like to remove the old grout in a few hours (hopefully?), clean it up and grout the next day. I'm assuming I can tape up some plastic to cover the new grout and still be able to use the shower.

Is that a reasonable assumption?
Total Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,222

If those are the 4 1/4 x 4 1/4 tiles that were popular for so long--the grout line is to narrow for an oscillating tool with a diamond blade (good tool if the grout line is wide enough)--

For those thin line---a utility knife is the tool of choice--the unsanded grout comes out easily enough---
Sorry---no power tools for the tile with the narrow grout lines----
Old 11-08-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
Barry

Rewards Points: 25

Some of the oscillating tools have 2 different sized diamond blades - a thin one and a thicker one. I've used the thin one successfully on thin grout lines. Make sure you get a variable speed tool, and be very careful! It's very easy to cut the tile or leave marks on it if you're not extremely careful. Do yourself a favor and get a good quality tool. Forget cordless - they won't have enough power for a grout job.

Barry
Tub Refinisher is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tub Refinisher For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (11-08-2012)