Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-24-2013, 08:15 AM   #1
Rav

Share |

What the heck are these?

I'm having the mirror from a 1931 bathroom medicine cabinet re-silvered (see my previous post on this, What gasket material to use to hold glass to medicine cabinet door? , if you're interested).

At the bottom of the cabinet, in the area behind where the mirror mounts on top of, were four flat L-shaped metal pieces. Made of some sort of soft metal, perhaps lead. They were adhered to the metal, but barely (two came off when I barely touched them). See pics below. The first pic is a close-up of the pieces. The second picture shows them as they were just after I took the mirror off; they're covered with dust. Notice the rust areas behind them. In the last two pics I have them just sitting where they would go, on top of the de-rusted and primed bottom of the cabinet.

The bottom of the mirror did not rest on them -- they don't extend far enough out for that. They don't hold together the back and the bottom lip of the cabinet -- that's one large piece of metal, bent into an L at the bottom to form the lip. I can't figure out what the function of these four metal pieces was. Does anyone here know? And if they're necessary, what should I use to re-adhere them back on? Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
What the heck are these?-cimg3338.jpg   What the heck are these?-cimg3322.jpg   What the heck are these?-cimg3339.jpg   What the heck are these?-cimg3340.jpg  

Rav is offline   Reply With Quote