Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-18-2010, 02:11 PM   #1
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

What era does plywood for walls date to?

I'm tearing out my old bathroom and am down to the bottom layer of wallboard - while the top layers were real hardboard the bottom layer is just 1/2" plywood.

What era is this method from - the 60's or 80's?
Or no era at all? LOL!

Old 02-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snav View Post
I'm tearing out my old bathroom and am down to the bottom layer of wallboard - while the top layers were real hardboard the bottom layer is just 1/2" plywood.

What era is this method from - the 60's or 80's?
Or no era at all? LOL!
If you're calling sheetrock, wallboard, there's usually just one layer. What are you calling, hardboard?
This sounds like a hodge podge of DIY building materials.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
Military Mom of 4

There's the plywood and then 3 layers of hardboard - and several layers of wallpaper on top of that.
Hodge Podge - yes - that's a good name for it

The hardboard is peg-board, only this stuff came pre-papered (with wallpaper already adhered to it). . . It's somehwhat like wood paneling - sold in 4x8 sheets, cut to fit. Like this stuff (apparently it's also called Fashionwall) http://www.lowes.com/pd_296727-46498...ductId=3031277

Seems that, instead of removing the previous work whenever they redid the bathroom, they just added it on top of it. . . and added and added.
Even the bathtube surround is plywood with hardboard layered on top. . . I honestly thought it was a solid bathtub surround.

An odd thing on top of the cheesy annoying thing is that the wall that houses the plumbing (the kitchen is on the other side) is actually constructed out of 2x6's instead of 2x4's - not sure why. Maybe they ran out of 2x4's and had some 2x6's that they used for joists left over (I wouldn't put it past them - I know the story behind the guys who built the house, they weren't pros).
Old 02-18-2010, 04:04 PM   #4

The wall that houses the supply pipes might also carry the waste pipes which are usually 4" in diameter. If it's cast iron, the hubs are about as wide as a 2x6. There is always a wider wall in a bath that houses the 4" waste pipe.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
Military Mom of 4

Well - I just went under the house to disconnect the tub and found that the kitchen and bath share the vent-pipe, which is 4 inches wide. So, since they're joined in the vent system the 6" wall makes sense. (the other bathroom is smaller - with a self-service vent-pipe, thus, the walls are a traditional thickness.)

I also found the source of our leak (finally - I've been looking for it for quite some time) - it was the kitchen drain-pipe, which connects into the tub drain-pipe. I was disconnecting with my wrench and it just fell apart on me.

*edit*
Now I'm just amused.
The plywood has wallpaper on the BACK of it - so it was removed, flipped and reused.

If I can manage to get these pieces of in reasonably large sheets I'll be able to expand the dog's houses which will be good - and save a few hundred.

Last edited by Snav; 02-18-2010 at 05:24 PM.
Snav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 06:23 PM   #6

hard to tell which" error "these walls were built in
Old 02-18-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
Learning by Doing

Gotta love a former homeowner who knew the value of recycling. I have plywood walls in a room that date to the 1940s.
Old 02-18-2010, 08:36 PM   #8
Military Mom of 4

Good one, tpolk.

I didn't even know plywood was around back then, Leah :D Interesting! I learn something new every day.