Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-08-2011, 11:04 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

What do you put between backerboard and drywall?

We are remodeling our shower and have removed all the tile and cement board. We laid tar paper and hardibacker 1/2" board. We followed the directions and put a spacer between the backerboard and the shower pan. The tile book we have says to fill in the gap with silicone caulk before you tile.

***Will the grout stick to this or am I going to have to use a silicone grout on the bottom? We plan to use a 3 part epoxy grout with 1/8 spacing but the bottom spacing is 1/4.

We also left a gap between boards which I will tape and thinset.

There is a gap between the backerboard and the drywall. In some places it is less than 1/8 inch, and in some places it is up to 1/4 inch because of drywall crumble. This is at the sides of the shower wall, which will not be part of the actual wet shower enclosure. The tile work goes 6 inches or so past the enclosure.

*****What do I put in the gap between backerboard and drywall? Thinset, spackle, silicone? We plan to place tiles over this area so that they overlap the drywall by about an inch to hide the damage and seam. What would work best in this space before I lay tile down? Thanks so much for your help!

adventurefamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 08:47 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,000

What do you put between backerboard and drywall?

You will caulk the bottom of the tile/showerbase connection as well as the corner.
Tape and compound the backerboard/sheetrock interface.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote