Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-07-2009, 03:05 PM   #1

Share |

What to do with this oddly shaped cabinet?

Greetings,

My fiance and I just bought our first home, which (thankfully) requires very few fixes or remodeling. However, one thing we want to address is this strange cabinet in the kitchen. While we like the style of it (wood color, use of glass doors, etc) it seems oddly out of place, like it should be against the ceiling, against the floor, or should cover the entire wall?

http://cmscarpero.googlepages.com/13_Kitchen.jpg

We are not all that handy, but can do some things and have family members with much more skill who could probably manage a considerable cabinet renovation. What we're looking for is any ideas- ranging from just decorating to make it gel more with the kitchen (i.e. place house plants under the two side openings) or to full-blown taking it out or installing complimentary cabinets around it. Any ideas are appreciated- thanks for looking!!!
cmscarpero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #2

That does look outta place. I wonder if the previous owners had a desk/mini office there. Since there seems to be an abundance of libations there...what about installing a dry or wet sink depending on what you want to do and how close you are to the utilities. You may be able to purchase matching or contrasting base cabinets to take them to the floor. It's difficult to tell from the pictures, but if you decided to put base cabinets in and wanted more space to the left and right of the center opening, I'm almost certain you could remove the smaller cabinets from the bottom leaving the top.

Other than that, you might consider just removing them all-together and starting from scratch!
Old 01-27-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
Enormous Member

It does look like there was supposed to be some sort of buffet or bar under there. I'm wondering if that was the original plan, but because of patio doors, they weren't able to fit 24" base cabinets under there and just decided to go halfway with it. Weird.
skipjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 10:16 AM   #4

I would raise the cabinets to the ceiling, put in base units with counter.

What a strange configuration. At the level they are now putting base units or a counter would look odd - it would be too low. The proportion is just not right.

Last edited by SandyK; 02-01-2009 at 06:37 PM.
SandyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 07:02 PM   #5

How much clearance is there from the wall to the case molding around the door? Enough for a 15" or 18" deep cabinet?

How much room is there from the floor to the bottom of the cabinets? Assuming they left 36", you could use a standard 12" deep by 30" tall wall cabinet, build a 4-1/2" toe kick under it and place a 1-1/2" thick counter top on it. The toe kick height can be adjusted, some counter tops are only 1-1/4" (3 CM is approximately 1-1/4").

Get creative with the toe kick to make it look like a piece of furniture. Some feet or base mold.

Do you know the brand of cabinetry used? Is it possible to contact the previous owner and get information on the cabinets?
Jeeper1970 is offline   Reply With Quote