Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-01-2013, 10:32 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

What compund to use on durock/drywall seam?

So Im trying to figure out what to use to fill the seam between durock and drywall in my bathroom. I thought I read about a certain drywall compound being more water resistant than other types, is this true?

Arsinek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,930

None of them are water resistant---I take that back--Durrabond powdered is (brown bag)--but it's almost impossible to sand--

the seam should not be in a wet area---so you could use powdered Easy sand--or do nothing--add tilers mesh as you set the tile and pack the void with thinset.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:45 AM   #3
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

You'd typically overlap the seam with the tile, using either one with a bullnose or rounded over. Thus there's be thinset used to hold the tile in the seam. And then a bit of caulk to bridge the edge of the tile sitting on the drywall, as that will have some 'give' as the different materials shift.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
None of them are water resistant---I take that back--Durrabond powdered is (brown bag)--but it's almost impossible to sand--

the seam should not be in a wet area---so you could use powdered Easy sand--or do nothing--add tilers mesh as you set the tile and pack the void with thinset.

Id sort of like to try this Durrabond but dont want to have to buy a huge bag of it.

If I used it how would I go about filling the seam? Would any tape be needed?
Old 06-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #5

Heres another issue, I have gaps in my cement board. What should I do about them?

Old 06-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,450

Any place there is Durock, there will be tile. Where Durock and drywall meet on a flat surface, the tile will overlap onto the drywall. Where Durock and drywall meet in a corner, the tile will go right up to the drywall, and the small 1/8" gap will be filled with caulk.

You do not need any kind of water resistant drywall joint compound. Anywhere that is going to be getting any kind of real wetness should have tile, not drywall. If it's not going to get that wet (perhaps just a few sprinkles of water near the sink area or high up on the wall above shower tiles) will be protected by paint, preferrably eggshell, which is somewhat water resistant.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeffnc For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (06-02-2013)
Old 06-02-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,930

Simply pack those areas with thinset as you tile---

If you are going to waterproof the surface before tiling--which is a very good idea---
Then pack the voids with modified thinset ---and perhaps tilers mesh --when dry--paint on your waterproofing membrane---
Old 06-02-2013, 06:22 PM   #8
Bill Kearney

Red Guard is one brand of waterproofing material to consider. You basically paint it onto the cement board, let it dry and then apply the thinset and tile as usual. It makes a VERY good way to prevent any water from getting back behind the cement board.

Remember, tile, grout, thinset and cement board are NOT waterproof. They'll usually cause most moisture to slide down the wall to the drain but not always.

A couple buckets of redguard and you really don't have to worry about leaks ruining the framing behind the wall, ever.
Old 06-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Red Guard is one brand of waterproofing material to consider. You basically paint it onto the cement board, let it dry and then apply the thinset and tile as usual. It makes a VERY good way to prevent any water from getting back behind the cement board.

Remember, tile, grout, thinset and cement board are NOT waterproof. They'll usually cause most moisture to slide down the wall to the drain but not always.

A couple buckets of redguard and you really don't have to worry about leaks ruining the framing behind the wall, ever.
I put plastic sheeting behind the cement board. Is that sufficient?
Old 06-02-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
Bill Kearney

Sure, that's good. Not as good as a membrane on the front, but it certainly beats nothing.
Old 06-02-2013, 11:50 PM   #11

Rewards Points: 2,000

You may have a problem with that vapor barrier next to the conditioned tile at a much lower temperature than outside air. Much better to have used DensShield or a surface water-proof so any condensation on the back of the c.b. could diffuse into it, gravity wick run down on to the tub rather than wet the wood framing stopped by the plastic. V.B.'s on exterior in FL.; pp.4; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...iers_r2011.pdf

Any hot humid outside air will stop at the "first condensing surface" -- the poly being the same temp as the room; think reverse here; http://www.buildingscience.com/docum...bout-diffusion

Page 5, esp. paragraph 5; http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...emu4HHePjOl5pw

http://climatecenter.fsu.edu/product...ative-humidity

If you don't pull the poly, at least air seal any holes to the exterior wall cavities, under tub, water supply, etc. from below. Best to caulk all sheathing/framing joints or is it CMU's? Are you on a slab? Describe the siding...

Gary