What Is The Best Material For Bathroom Ceiling? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-24-2012, 12:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 250

What is the best material for bathroom ceiling?

Little bathroom has a leak. Soon as we can get it fixed, we need to repair the ceiling. Right now it has some sort of weird hardboard paneling up there, and i am going to screw a piece of moisture/mold resistant drywall to the ceiling rafters. What would be best to cover the drywall? I dont want too much weight, so no tiles, and my fiance doesnt want to just paint it, so thats out too. Any other options? No wallpaper either, we have to replace the wallpaper thats in there now because of moisture.
i dont have any pictures

Advertisement

firsttimeremode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:00 PM   #2
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

I used drywall mud and textured all the ceilings in our home, including the bathrooms and have had no problems. Perhaps this could be an answer for you as well? If there are moisture problems though, I'd invest in a venting fan setup if none is there already.

DM

Advertisement

Old 09-24-2012, 01:03 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,624

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeremode View Post
Little bathroom has a leak. Soon as we can get it fixed, we need to repair the ceiling. Right now it has some sort of weird hardboard paneling up there, and i am going to screw a piece of moisture/mold resistant drywall to the ceiling rafters. What would be best to cover the drywall? I dont want too much weight, so no tiles, and my fiance doesnt want to just paint it, so thats out too. Any other options? No wallpaper either, we have to replace the wallpaper thats in there now because of moisture.
i dont have any pictures
Laminate ( as in counter tops ) Formica is one brand that's been popular for decades and Ms fiance's choices will be nearly endless.

It has been on the ceiling above the fiberglass shower stall and on the surrounding 3 walls above the shower in my shack for nearly 30 years and is still doing just fine.

Last edited by SeniorSitizen; 09-24-2012 at 01:06 PM.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 01:12 PM   #4

How would i put Formica on the ceiling? that doesnt make any sense, unless you are talking about the big laminated sheets. It will need to cover a space that is about 4' x 8'. i will attach a pic of the bathroom, but it doesnt show the ceiling, it will just show how big the space is and the layout.
Attached Thumbnails
What is the best material for bathroom ceiling?-2nd-bath.jpg   What is the best material for bathroom ceiling?-guest-bath.jpg  
Old 09-24-2012, 08:24 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,624

The laminate in my shower was glued with the normal contact adhesive and no fasteners. What the substrate is I'm not sure but my best guestimate is dry wall ( sheet rock ). Working long hours at that time I didn't get in all the I would like to have.
SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 09:14 AM   #6

sorry but i still dont really know what you mean by laminate. the only things that come to mind is the 4x8 sheet of countertop laminate and laminate flooring which would not work for a shower.
Old 09-25-2012, 09:22 AM   #7
the Musigician

Rewards Points: 2,000

You could go with 4x8 sheets of VINYL (available at BB stores for about $15.00 to $20.00 a sheet) which, when installed with the connecting plastic strips and edges, and silicone, can do what you desire.

DM

Advertisement