DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Kitchen & Bath Remodeling (
-   -   Water damaged work top (

katy0793 04-18-2005 06:31 AM

Water damaged work top
We have come home from a weekend away to find a water leak has come through from the bathroom into the kitchen through the ceiling. The water has dripped onto the newly laid worktops and has cause water damage to the tops. There is a section on the far right hand of the work top about 2 foot long that is swollen with water and the laminate has become unstuck at the edge. Our kitchen is a c shape with one continuous worktop (three strips bolted together having used standard worktop jig, biscuits, bolts, and glue etc) on all three walls. Does anyone have any ideas as to how to rectify this. Short of removing the entire work top and strarting again we are unsure that there is anything we can do at all!!

MgMopar 04-19-2005 12:58 PM

before you could even try and re glue that section the moisture has to be dried. Maybe start with a dehumidifier in the room. Maybe just maybe the swollen wood will go down.Then you could reattempt to use adhesive and weights on top to try and rebond the counter top. I don't know of anything else and its not to probable you would have desirable results.

shufti 04-28-2005 05:21 PM

I have always found that once water gets into the worktop you will not be able to rectify it.
Assuming you are insured the insurance company will pay for the worktops to be replaced.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 PM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1