DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Walk In Shower Can we Do it?

2K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  clemkonan 
#1 ·
I am looking at my tub shower which is showing wear after 10 years and I am frustrated because replacing or refinishing the tub seems so wrong. Who uses a tub these days anyway? A walk in shower with a nice tiled base and a seat for the wife to relax and enjoy is the way to go and should add value to the home.

But can an inexperienced DIY tackle this project , is there an option to drop in a pre-made base that saves me all that talk about membranes ,weeping channels , latex additives for concrete ,etc?

Can you give me some options and redirect me to some posts so that I can make up my mind which way to go? Would be nice to also know what costs are associated with each option.

Prices may be higher here in Canada.

Much appreciated.

Clemkonan
Toronto

#2 ·
There are some fine looking cast bases available--Are you lucky enough to have a cast marble counter top company near by? They are the folks that make them--Any color that a vanity top can be cast.

They will also make you a matching seat slab.

4 foot shower base --12 inch wall--12 inch framed seat--13 or 14inch slab seat--standard off the shelf 4 foot door.

Yes I'd say you can do this--Use a liquid paint on water proofer in the seat area-at the minimum--The whole shower area is best.

I use Hydro Ban by Latacrete--Red Guard is another brand.----Mike----

#4 ·
Walk in Shower

Yes I should be able to get that product here in Toronto all I need now is an installation guide. I know I have to remove the tub and the existing tiled walls so that I have the exposed studs, then there is the issue of the existing drain location relative to where it needs to go to fit the base and the size of the drain may have to be changed.

I will search for treads but if there a good one you know of please let me know.

The comment about resale is valid, I have three functional bathrooms in the house , the kids shower will still have a tub, my project covers the master bedroom and creates a bit of Wow factor.

Thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.