Vanity Top - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Cool

Vanity Top

Help me decide which countertop to use for my bathroom vanity.

The vanity is white and the current counter is blue (formica). We are not remodeling the entire bathroom. We had a leak from the 10 yr old sink/faucet and didn't want another drop in.

I would like a countertop with an integral sink for easy cleaning, but would settle for an undermount.

Been looking at:

http://www.stpaulhomeproducts.com/

They have cultured marble, faux granite & stone and runs about $400-$800+ but would have to be shipped (I think to Home Depot)

http://www.a1superior.com/index.html

Their cultured marble colors are about $300-$400+ and we can pick it up. The granite and onyx are 50% more.

What color do you think would look best with the white cabinet?

We will pick new floor tile and wall color afterward to go with the vanity.

Advertisement

home25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Vanity Top

If you're spending that much money on this then I'd be *careful* to avoid patterns and designs are commonly done (fake) in mobile homes, rentals and other such less-costly places. You want your well spent money to reflect the cost - right? That's the whole point.

Some cheap faux marble (etc) sinks/counters are commonly done in patterns that resemble the Goldenrod Marble, Ocean Blue marble, Sienne Marble, Ice Grey, Tidal foam - these are ones I've seen in numerous rental homes and mobile homes so - honestly - I'd steer clear lest your well spent money remind someone of first crappy apartment they hated.

Advertisement

gregzoll (09-22-2011)
Old 09-22-2011, 11:08 PM   #3
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 4,328

Vanity Top

Personally, I would purchase a new cabinet and vanity top set at your local big box diy retail center. Regardless if you are not remodeling the whole bath, to fix the problem from the leak, will mean at least tearing out the vanity to get to the wood and gypsum that will need to be replaced, and possibly the studs in the wall if they have water damage. And yes, you are going to spend anywhere from $400 to $600 on something that will last, but can get away on the cheap side spending $200 to $300 if you can find something on sale or clearance. Stay away from the white cabinet, otherwise it looks like a rental.
Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gregzoll For This Useful Post:
Snav (09-23-2011)
Old 09-23-2011, 08:12 AM   #4

Vanity Top

No water damage to repair. The cabinet is not damaged.

Cultured Marble...well, I grew up in the 60's-70's so my house as a kid had the ugly marble bathrooms.

Countertop is 58.5" with an offset bowl to the right 41.5" (not standard, can't pick up a replacement off the shelf at Home Depot).

Silestone and Granite are nice, but it makes no sense to put a couple thousand dollar top on a white formica cabinet.

A solid surface countertop will be nicer than just replacing the drop in bowl on the existing formica countertop.

Saint Paul Home Products has granite looking countertops with an integral bowl. Just need to decide on color. I like the neutrals like Beach or Spice, but not much contrast on the white cabinet. Also looking at the (ColorPoint) Gray, Black, Olive, and (SolidSurface) Cobblestone. Not sure about the Stone Effect Colors(?).

Would love to remodel the entire bathroom, but not in the budget at this time.

Anyone want to suggest a color from the St Paul vanity tops to go on a white cabinet?

http://www.stpaulhomeproducts.com/ca...om-Vanity-Tops
Old 09-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #5
Military Mom of 4

Rewards Points: 500

Vanity Top

Hmm.

The white cabinet thing - eh - unless it's high-end cabinetry it'll just look cheap no matter what you put on it.

How about this? http://www.homedepot.com/Bath-Bathro...atalogId=10053

You'd still get a sink and faucet separately - but in the end you'd spend less on replacing the entire thing rather than just the counter and it does look very nice.

Just a suggestion.
Old 09-23-2011, 04:40 PM   #6
Craftster

Rewards Points: 77

Vanity Top

The Stone Effects Bordeaux looks nice on white (although it tends to stand out a bit), my personal choice on a white cabinet is their Solid Surface Waterfall (turquoise), but you may be tired of anything blue-like in there by now. If you click on the 'Design Center' link, you can change the counter top color as well as vanity color (on the top right corner) to see how they'd look together. I did see those are custom made and non-returnable so be sure before you buy.
ghostlyvision is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ghostlyvision For This Useful Post:
home25 (09-23-2011)
Old 09-23-2011, 04:45 PM   #7
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 3,050

Vanity Top

What model is the trailer house?
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bud Cline For This Useful Post:
gregzoll (09-23-2011)
Old 09-23-2011, 05:20 PM   #8
Craftster

Vanity Top

Bud
Old 09-23-2011, 05:31 PM   #9
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 3,050

Vanity Top

Sorry I blew up!
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 05:55 PM   #10
Craftster

Vanity Top

You get a little extra leeway because you're so tilented.
The Following User Says Thank You to ghostlyvision For This Useful Post:
Bud Cline (09-23-2011)
Old 09-23-2011, 11:36 PM   #11

Vanity Top

Ten years ago, we purchased this beautiful piece of acreage located in an equestrian community in the Tampa, Florida area. Our builder constructed a very nice concrete block, single family home where we have been raising our 2 children, four dogs and five horses.

My kids have really enjoyed the ocean theme in their bathroom with dolphins, fish, coral, etc.

BTW, Don't forget to go see Dolphin Tale at the movies this weekend!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1564349/

I think I'll check out Lowe's this weekend to see if they have anything I like better than Home Depot.

Thanks again for everyone's help.
Old 09-24-2011, 12:20 AM   #12
Retired from the grind

Rewards Points: 4,328

Vanity Top

You could also do like we did, and order a ready to assemble, from either http://www.cabinetstogo.com/home.asp or http://www.thertastore.com/RTA_Kitch...mble_s/223.htm I will let you know, that it can take up to six weeks from the last link, but the cabinet we got was very well worth the savings.

Advertisement

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is offline   Reply With Quote