Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-26-2013, 04:53 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 150

Vanity/ countertop measuments

we will be removing our old vanity that is fit between two walls with a wall in the back as well. The opening is 48", which is standard, however the precut countertops in store say they are 49" wide. How do I account for this extra 1/2" overhang on each side?

diyer111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Framing Contractor

Rewards Points: 502

You really can't account for it. Those cultured marble top vanities are designed to not push against the wall on either side. We have occasionally used them where one side sits against the wall. We installed a wood filler to the vanity in order to keep the top centered.

Have you considered building your own top? You could still use a stock size vanity, and then fabricate a top from laminate or other materials.

sixeightten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:38 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,000

I used to cut them to fit and then belt sand the edge smooth. I usually had to scribe them to fit crooked walls.
DannyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
K&B Designer

Rewards Points: 250

Sometimes you can just cut a slot in the drywall and slide it in. If the depth of the alcove is enough where the edge won't stick out, repairing the drywall can make it look OK. It does have a chance of having cracking of the drywall there in the future as the home shifts though.
Live_Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:27 PM   #5
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,006

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyT View Post
I used to cut them to fit and then belt sand the edge smooth. I usually had to scribe them to fit crooked walls.
This. Just scribe and trim them to fit. Or call in a counter installer and get something nicer than the prefab stuff at the box stores.

You might be surprised how inexpensively it can be done. Especially if you find a remnant of a slab. They often have left over sections from other jobs. You just have to open up your preferences a little and be prepared to consider alternatives based on the cost savings. Shop around a bit, but know that remnants don't hang around. If you find one that works you really need to jump on it.

We've got a really nifty looking Giallo granite going into our laundry room thanks to remnants from another customer's job. I'm getting it for little more than cost to fabricate and install it.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote