Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Question

Vanity backsplash 1" from wall

I have mounted this vanity as close to the wall as possible without remving any base moulding. There will be a gap of about 1" between the back of the back splash and wall if I go ahead as planned. I mounted a 2 x 4 behind the vanity and it is securely attached to the wall. I'm confident that when I use a strong adhesive to set the sink top on the vanity it will all firm up nicely.

My question is about the gap between the back of the vanity and the wall...is this an unconditional no no? I have seen some images on the web of a vanity back splash having such a gap, but my contractor friend says it must be flush to the wall.

Any thoughts? My kids are now old enough that the days of heavy water splash are over. There will also be a mirror with a very thick frame hanging down to just above the back splash.

I guess I'm looking for some reassurance that I"m not commiting some kind of aesthetic or functional error.

Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Vanity backsplash 1" from wall-dsc_0005.jpg  

Last edited by jellerysaunders; 04-30-2010 at 08:09 PM.
jellerysaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 05:56 AM   #2

I would not say it MUST be flat on the wall, but it is a good idea because of splashes, etc. I will quickly ruin the paint job, and since it is open underneath, the paint is part of the display. If you won't cut the baseboard, and a piece to the top of splash to close the gap.

Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 06:21 AM   #3
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 46

Adding a nice routed wood piece to fill the void would look nice. I'd clip the shoe molding to get 1/2 inch closer to the wall--a razor sharp chisel might do the job.

Don't you just love the desisners who make these things that could not work in any house built in the USA in the last 250 years?

Your post is not the first on the same problem.--Good luck--Have fun--Mike---
oh'mike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:43 AM   #4

put a bullnosed small shelf piece on top of splash that matches mirror that frame can sit on
Old 05-01-2010, 08:13 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 12

Why won't you cut the baseboard?
bob22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 02:52 PM   #6

These replies are really helpful. Several different and good ideas. I don't want to cut the baseboard simply because I think it will look like a cover up of a mistake. Could be wrong there.

I'm thinking I might cut the shoe as suggested and reposition my 2x4 support to bring the whole thing 1/2" closer to the wall. Due to a non-square wall I already have to shim the 2x4 support so it's coming back out for that anyway. My mirror has a very thick frame (1.5") and will hang to within 1-2" of the top of the back splash.

That's my plan at this point.

Thanks again. I'll post an image of the final.

Jim
jellerysaunders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 03:40 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 12

" I don't want to cut the baseboard simply because I think it will look like a cover up of a mistake. Could be wrong there."
IMO I think the gap at the wall will look more like a mistake than the baseboard being cut. More people will see the gap at the sink than at the baseboard and wonder why it isn't against the wall. But, to each his own.
bob22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 07:29 PM   #8

a free standing vanity of that style doesnt need to have any shoe or base cut, it looks fine as is. with the thickness of the mirror frame i would leave as is. cutting shoe and base will look like a hack job, imo
Old 05-01-2010, 11:13 PM   #9
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 26

Quote:
...it looks fine as is.
It looks really dumb and poorly planned. How often do you see something like that? Friends and neighbors will talk about you at the neighborhood bar-b-ques you don't attend.

Remove the rear legs and hang that sucker tightly to the wall like it should be.

Tags
gap, gap with wall, vanity, vanity gap with wall