DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Using sanded grout for spaces less than 1/8"?

11K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Bud Cline 
#1 ·
Hello,

I just finished laying floor tiles in my bathroom. I am ready to grout it. I used 1/8" tiles spacers and will be using sanded grout which I already purchased.
However, due to my bathroom shape, during floor tiling I ran into some problems and had to put couple of tiles with space less than 1/8". I don't want to buy a bag of unsanded grout just for two lines between tiles.
Do I have to spend $10 for sanded grout just to grout two lines and then throw it away? And in general, why can't I use sanded grout for spaces less then 1/8".

Thanks

#2 ·
Hey Sukhenkoi,

You shouldn't have to go and get a non-sanded grout to fill those small grout lines. When you are grouting just be sure fill them and go over them until they good. If you don't think that will work you can get the matching grout in a caulk tube as a non-sanded and squeeze it in. - Gregg

#4 ·
You'll be fine, just may have to use a little extra effort to fill the smaller joint but it will fill in with the soup as you clean the grout.:)

Even though the claim is readily made that "matching caulk" is available the truth is the caulk probably won't match perfectly and the texture will be different so I wouldn't suggest you use the caulk to fill a grout joint. In a corner where there is a change-in-plane the mismatch would go unnoticed but on a flat plane it will likely show in contrast to the grout.:)

#7 ·
Bud,

This is not my first tiling project and every time after I finish, the grout does not look very even. It looks ok, but not pretty. I always follow the instructions; I watched some videos on the internet, but still can't make it look really good and even. Are very any tricks to make grout look really nice? One of my co-workers uses popsicle sticks to help grout to spread more evenly in spaces. But I am not sure I want to do that.

Thanks

#8 ·
People use Popsicle sticks, tooth brush handles, broomsticks, god only knows what people come up with. There is nothing wrong with any of that I suppose but it is all totally unnecessary.

A simple damp sponge will do all of that in a whiz and deliver perfect looking joints every time. I don't understand why so many people try to re-invent the wheel all of the time.:):wallbash:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.