Turning A Built-in Desk Area Into A Dry Bar... Need Some Help - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-15-2015, 11:46 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 4

Turning a built-in desk area into a dry bar... need some help

So our home has a built in desk that matches the kitchen, same cabinets same granite counter top. I'd like to raise the cabinet height so I can slide in a wine fridge and beverage cooler. I ordered 2 already that are a perfect fit for the sitting space left under the countertop but the counter itself is too low by about 2".

I was just planning on adding a 2" raiser around the top of the cabinets and then covering that up with some nice trim on the front flush with the counter top. If the counter top proves difficult to take off maybe I could do this backwards and detach the cabinets from the wall ( keeping the counter intact on top ) and just raise the cabinets from the bottom instead?

The countertop itself is a rectangular slab about 74" long with no special cuts or angles to it at all.

I made the decision that we would attempt to pull off the granite cleanly or if not I'd just order a new counter for it to match. I'd obviously prefer not to waste money if I can take the counter off relatively easily but I'm not sure.

Any tips or ideas on how I should go about trying this?

Advertisement

Last edited by Mikey_S; 04-15-2015 at 11:59 AM.
Mikey_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 02:40 PM   #2
Remodel and New Build GC

Rewards Points: 3,328

Few questions.....

Is that 3cm granite... and what type of granite (really how solid does it appear.... for instance black galaxy is very strong.... verse other natural stones)

76" should be relatively heavy... but I've pulled granite by just slicing any caulk around the perimeter of the cabinet and carefully pulling the granite... basically opposit of install.

Also, I regularily raise existing powder room/vanity counters exactly the way you are thinking.

Good luck

Advertisement

Mikey_S (04-15-2015)
Old 04-15-2015, 04:04 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 4

Yep it's 3cm granite. It's solid but it is a light colored tan-ish looking granite quite a mix of darker texture and color which generally seems to infer it's more brittle? I'm not expert on that though.

So basically my big worry is the builder used some sort of strong adhesive, I don't see any on the underside but that doesn't mean it wasn't beaded on there. I'll know more once I take my multi tool to the caulking.

I'll post again once I've removed the caulking and back splash.
Mikey_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 04:52 PM   #4
Ole Wood Worker

Rewards Points: 3,888

If there is a way you can pull the cabinet away from the wall with the top in tact, you can use a thin tape knife (wide putty knife) to slide between the top and cabinet or you can use a handsaw from the back side of the cabinet to break the adhesive loose. If push came to shove, and I couldn't get the top loose, I would raise the cabinet. JMHO

If you aim at nothing, you will hit it every time!

Jim
BigJim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigJim For This Useful Post:
austinbest (04-16-2015), Mikey_S (04-15-2015)