Tub Surround Opinions. - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-15-2010, 10:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 40

Tub surround opinions.

Planning on a tub surround for new tub (Kohler cast iron-has no flange). My wife wants one or the thick-walled models but I have read in a couple of places that they are more difficult to glue on than the thin walled models. What is your experience with these. Are there any models I should avoid? Tile is not an option at this time, the drywall is up and the wife wants it done.

Advertisement

Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

Tub surround opinions.

The thing to have done would have been to buy the correct tub to start with.

Advertisement

Old 06-17-2010, 10:28 PM   #3

Tub surround opinions.

Trust me, cast iron is the right tub for my family. We have a daughter with autism who can be very rough on furniture and fixtures. She would make short work out of a fiberglass or acryllic tub. I have a surround on my Kohler tub upstairs. True, it is not the ideal situation to have a surround on a flangeless tub but that can be compensated with caulking. I was really looking more for experiences people have had with various models and wall thicknesses.
Old 06-22-2010, 01:14 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

Tub surround opinions.

I've installed thinwall with no problems however. If the units have any pre mounted towel bars (PVC) I may not reccomend them on the basis of your child. They are not toys and wouldn't give me a sense of comfort. As for no flange on the tub you may have to find a product to act as a flange or call in a pre-fabricator. I would highly reccomend somebody who can do this phase as it concerns your child's safety. As for the larger stock, I think your just being a little to concerned. The glues used in the application are very strong, when properly applied, and when in doubt see what is the strongest for the task at hand. Proper grab bars are reccomended (name brand & secured into blocking & ADA compliant to avoid rust & performance).

My thoughts would be to protect the drywall around the tub. Some Manufacturers make PVC corners. Check around for a local supplier in your area who specializes in PVC?

Have you considered the mesh back tile (comes in sheets)?

Failure to do the job properly could end up like this post.
Seeking wisdom for small drywall fix
Bldg 2 Spec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 12:52 PM   #5
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Tub surround opinions.

Is this a tub only, or a tub/shower combo?
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:41 PM   #6

Tub surround opinions.

Something else I was thinking of.. I was thinking about the larger tub surrounds. I think you may find they would encounter less moisture build up, which in turn may lead to less mold build up (if built properly). Any thoughts?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:54 AM   #7

Tub surround opinions.

I've actually considered using durock or denshield under the surround and around the tub. That leaves the question of how to blend this with the drywall adjacent to the backer board. Can this stuff be painted and primed? Will I need something like a skim coat to match the texture of the surrounding drywall? I also don't know and can't find any info on how well these materials bond with tub surronud glue. Denshield looks like the best stuff to use in a wet environment but I can't find it in 1/2 inch anywhere locally, only 1/4 inch. I'm open to suggestions.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:02 PM   #8

Tub surround opinions.

In my opinion cement board is the way to go. Denshield is more of a commercial product /you can get other thicknesses but $$$). Cement board also many great benefits. Impact resistance, strength, moisture resistance, comes with two sides ( adhesive and tile sides, on purpose). I find the screws in the tub kits are too short as they have a drill edge. This product must go on 20 ga studs or wood studs. (yes it can go on 25 ga studs but it is not reccomended in any way).

As for extending the cement board beyond the surround. I've done it so it looks seamless. Durabond 90 all seams (till you dont see mesh), see my other post for how i did it. When you finish your seams normal drywall compound should work fine (I work my way up to a 12" drywall putty knife. The rest of the walls remain unparged as the adhesive needs the adhesive side on the cement board to bond. Follow the Manf. instructions on the surround you should be fine... Denshield is more of an exterior sheathing product.. Just my take and for what your gonna use it for probably the best product for the purpose.

Just a thought..
The Following User Says Thank You to Bldg 2 Spec For This Useful Post:
Jim F (11-06-2010)
Old 06-29-2010, 08:01 PM   #9
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,182

Tub surround opinions.

Jim--I wish I could offer you some advice --I've only installed a few tub surrounds. They were a kit for the tub.

I've been with you since you started the bath project--I'll be watching.---Mike---
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 09:10 AM   #10
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

Tub surround opinions.

Old 06-30-2010, 11:16 AM   #11

Tub surround opinions.

Yeah I know, tile is the way to go. My plan is to start small with a kitchen back splash and see how that goes before tackling a bigger project like bathroom walls. I may revise the tub wall in the future. Got some feedback from GP who told me that densshield is compatable with what I want to do. Now I need to find someone local who sells 1/2 inch. Maybe 40 miles away.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:06 PM   #12

Tub surround opinions.

Good idea Jim, start small. I've seen some bad installs.

Advertisement