Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-01-2012, 08:31 PM   #1

Share |

toilet

do i need to change the flange when i put in a new toilet

ryanchas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #2

toilet

Not unless it's broken. Just change the wax ring.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #3

toilet

ok thank you im a girl doing this. i wanted to make sure i wasn't about to screw up! thanks again
ryanchas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 09:04 PM   #4

toilet

When you buy the wax ring make sure to buy one with new bolts in it and a tapered rubber ring on it.
The tapered part goes down, once it's in place insert the two bolts line them up so there right across each other. Press some of the wax so it goes around the screws to they will stand up straight and not wiggle around as much.
Place the toilet in place, there should be a plastic ring that goes on but look at it to see if there's a raised ring on one side. It's to act as a place to snap the cap on when your done. After the plastic rind there should be a metal washer, then the nut goes on. Just shug it up do not try and tighten it yet. Sit on the toilet and rock it around with your butt. The toilet needs to end up sitting flat on the floor. Snug up the nuts again. I like to use the toilet for a day then go back and tighten down the nuts. Do not over thighten. If you can sit on the toilet and not be able to see or hear it move that's enough. Now you can cut off the extra length on the bolts with a hack saw and install the cap.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 12:45 PM   #5
Stuck in the 70's

toilet

I know a lot of the guys here could just about throw the thing across the room and have it land perfectly, but it's not so easy the first time.
The first time I replaced a toilet I had trouble lining it up and messed up the wax ring. It leaked and I had to do it over again.

The next time I started with three pieces of 2x2 scrap wood. After sticking the wax ring to the toilet, I positioned the wood on the floor around the flange at the 2 o'clock, 10 o'clock and 6 o'clock positions. I set the toilet (with wax ring) on the scraps, made sure the bolts and everything were lined up. DH lifted the toilet slightly while I knocked the blocks away and the toilet went straight down. If you don't have wood scraps, anything that will raise it about 1.5 inches would work.
Blondesense is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:59 PM   #6

toilet

Nothing speaks louder and better than success! I'm glad you worked out a solution, but I'd caution anyone else about copying it!!!
That wax ring with flange should never be attached to the toilet first cuz its way too easy to have it miss the floor flange and even catch the flange up off center and leacking is sure to follow. Stick the wax ring on the floor, the flange centered into the hole. Some misallignment on the toilet bottom will still work a lot better than the ring out of place
I know toilets are heavy and hard to set. Easier than blocks though (for most folks, I think) is pick it up by the outside of the bowl or tank, set it at a forward tilt so some of the weight is on the front edge. move it in over the bolts (which are in place, keyholed in the floor flange and held in by the plastic keeper they often come with, or with a little wax) and cautiously lower the toilet onto the bolts as you align them with their holes. Once down, make sure toilet is well positioned. The wax will hold it up a bit until you do get it in position, then press the toilet down to the floor, and tighten it up.

bareshiyth is offline   Reply With Quote