Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-25-2010, 09:07 PM   #1

Share |

Tiling Painted Cement Walls ... HELP Please!!!

Hey There, I have a 1950's cinder block house that I'm updating. In the bathroom I'm wanting to tile, but all the walls have a skim coat of cement over them, then about 7 layers of oil base paint. I was told by a tile PRO that I need to ruff up the paint so the adhesive would stick. Well ruffing up oil paint isn't that easy with all the layers of paint. It just gums up my wagner paint eater. So I started stripping the paint off one wall, inside the walk in shower stall. And boy was a mess I've got now, it's coming off but very time consuming. There's got to be a easier way!!

What would be the best way to prep these painted cement wall for tiling???? Do I need to remove all the paint first?? Would it be better to wrap the shower stall with 1/2 inch cement board and start with a fresh clean surface?? Any suggestion or comments would be great appreciated!

http://www.diychatroom.com/members/g...laster-job.jpg

Last edited by gapeahen; 09-02-2010 at 01:06 AM. Reason: image
gapeahen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 03:01 AM   #2

After reading older post I see that I must remove ALL PAINT first!
And not to use any paint strippers, as I've already done......Looks like this bathroom is going to take some hard work, time and make a big mess!

Old 08-27-2010, 05:41 AM   #3

I would agree that most of the paint needs to be removed, since it will likely loosen under the tile and cause problems later. But why can't you use strippers?? There are strippers that are safe to use indoors(but ventilation still a good idea).
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:59 PM   #4

What about putting a backer board over the existing wall. Not sure the best way to attach but sure it can be done. Maybe furring strips fastened with tap con screws then nail or screw backer to furring strips, or maybe it can be directly attached to the walls.
Jim F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 01:32 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
I would agree that most of the paint needs to be removed, since it will likely loosen under the tile and cause problems later. But why can't you use strippers?? There are strippers that are safe to use indoors(but ventilation still a good idea).
Just a quick question: did you check the paint for any lead content before you started removing it?

epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 08:04 AM   #6

adhere 1/4" cement board over existing walls is the recommended route.
gjjr2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by gjjr2001 View Post
adhere 1/4" cement board over existing walls is the recommended route.

yes, that would be the easy way for sure. What type of screws should be use on concrete wall?

There another issue about the water lines coming up from the floor. Can a wall be built around these pipes to hide all the ugly. If so what the best way to tackle it? Build a frame and cover with cement board?

Haven't check for lead yet. Was told as long as the paint wasn't in dust form wasn't harmful unless I was to eat it!! lol! But yes a lead test is important! If sand blasting is used in removal of all this paint I will be doing a lead test first. Thanks for the reminder!

http://www.diychatroom.com/members/g...needs-help.jpg

Please view my album for my work in progress!

Last edited by gapeahen; 09-02-2010 at 01:09 AM. Reason: add image
Old 09-02-2010, 01:49 AM   #8

Images of my bathroom mess!
Attached Thumbnails
Tiling Painted Cement Walls ... HELP Please!!!-bathrm1.jpg   Tiling Painted Cement Walls ... HELP Please!!!-shwer1.jpg   Tiling Painted Cement Walls ... HELP Please!!!-shw_pipes1.jpg  

Tags
cinder block wall, painted cinder block wall, tiling shower walls