Tiling Over Plaster And Cement Board And The Widnow Issue Over The Tub/shower Area - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tiling over plaster and cement board and the widnow issue over the tub/shower area

I am in the process of trying to tile over 1937 plaster and some type of cement board. I have been told by a couple of reputable people that I can do this right over the top. Are there any good tips for what I am about to do?
Also I have a window in there I plan to keep and I need to address that as well. Glass blocks? I do have some, but what if the measurements don't work out evenly for them? I have lived with plastic walls for 4 1/2 yrs they have to go, and I am on a low budget. Thanks

Advertisement

Valerie Reddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:18 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 640

Tiling over plaster and cement board and the widnow issue over the tub/shower area

Is this inside the wet area?
Post a picture.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:33 AM   #3

Yes around the tub. I can not post a pic till I go home tonight and take one. long skinny bathroom with the tub at the end with a window over it. My house is brick.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #4

Not sure who you have been talking to but to me it sounlds like a very poor plan to go over plaster.
I know I would never do it.
If you want the glass block look I would order a custom made vinyl acrilic block replacement window and replace all the trim around the window with vinyl trim.
Old 08-02-2012, 11:56 AM   #5

I already have old glass blocks why can't I put them in ? I would rather not spend the money for a new window when I already have plenty of the glass block. I was told by 2 different construction guys. One is my bf and he has built houses and worked on old rotten houses for 35 yr. This is my grandmothers house they built new and I am trying to keep things as org as I can.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:00 PM   #6

Everything is the same since 1937 tub, sink, toilet, the tile on the floor. Its in awesome shape the whole house is.So that is one reason I do not want to rip a bunch of stuff out.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #7

Grout is not water proof.
Many times I've had to go back and rip out walls that have been tiled over that were sheetrock or plaster when it turns to mush when it leaked.
Have you ever install glass block before?
A whole lot of prep work, study up if you decide to go that way.

Just trying to suggest things I know will not fail and add to the future mantaince or added damge to the walls.
Old 08-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #8

Yes Joe and I really do appreciate it and any tips are great. No I have not installed them but I will read up or find someone to do that part of it for me. I have seen on some other post about some kind of paint applied waterproofing that I might could put on before the tile goes up. Are those products any good?
Old 08-02-2012, 12:38 PM   #9

Google " Red Guard".
Any Lowes or Home Depot will have it.
Old 08-02-2012, 01:15 PM   #10

Ok, I looked online and there was nothing at the lowe's website so I called Lowes they have never heard of it and they sent me to all the departments. I also checked with HD on their site nothing. Any other names for it?
Thanks
Old 08-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #11

I did find it at home depot redgard waterproofing and crack preventing membrane and it was spelled as I have spelled it. But Lowes here in Greensboro do not carry it. I read all the post of those who have used it and made comments and it seems to be a good product and works from what I read. Thanks I will try it, there are 3 of us living in the house and we can not do without our shower for very long. Thanks
Old 08-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #12

I had a hard time finding Redgard too. The product is actually spelled Redgard (no "u") maybe Lowes or Home depot will be able to find it if you give them the correct spelling.
MBMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 02:53 PM   #13

It's on the Home Depot web site, and Lowes chose to not list it on there web site because it's not sold by mail order.
Old 08-05-2012, 11:12 PM   #14
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Lowes sells this stuff.
I've not used it, but I assume it is a similar product.

http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?...toreBeanArray=

Advertisement

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote