Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-30-2011, 02:01 PM   #1

Share |

Tiling Kitchen backsplash - how to deal with this end?

Hello! Long-time reader, first-time poster Semi-experienced DIYer.

First time doing a kitchen backsplash. Not really any questions about the actual *tiling, but I'm stumped on where to end my backsplash on one side. I'm doing an L-shaped area, and the right side is perfect, no issues. The left side has a light switch that isn't ideal, it straddles where I'd end the tile.

I've been through 10+ pages of search results here, and I can't find an answer yet. So, WWYD? Open the wall and see if I can move the switch over? End the tile at the right edge of the switch? Take it out past the left side? FWIW, I'm using 12x12 sheets of 1x2 glass mosaic tile.

Picture for reference - https://picasaweb.google.com/1178147...23399770924050

Thanks!

TNSLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
Tileguy

Tiling Kitchen backsplash - how to deal with this end?

Bummer!!!

I'll bet that switch would move to the right without too much trouble. To the left is solid wood under the drywall and there should enough flex in the cable to move it although it is probably stapled to the studs on the left about six inches down from the box. Pulling that staple could get a little annoying.

You could use an after-market remodelling box if need be. If you carefully cut out the drywall in the new location, that cut out piece could be used to fill the hole left by moving the box.

Another option would be to take in the switch box with tile. Match the tile to the counter top and to the cabinet but take it out around the switch box. It may or may not look weird to you.