Tiling Around Tub With Very Wide Flange - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-18-2009, 11:07 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tiling around tub with very wide flange

The installation instructions for our whirlpool tub show the backerboard coming down in front of the flange, and the flange being flush up against something above it. The problem is, the flange is almost 1/2" thick. In the diagram it shows it being flat.

So my question is this: Do I need to fir (?sp) the studs out further to make it overlap, or do I have it mount flush on top of the flange?

Here's the picture from the installation instructions:
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...gemounting.jpg I don't know how to get it to show in the actual post.

You'll see a dark gray line behind the concrete board that is flush above the flange. But it doesn't tell me what this is. I thought it might be the plastic sheeting, but that doesn't make sense because that's barely any thickness and the flange is almost 1/2" thick.

You can't see the flange really clearly, but this is the tub we have:
http://www.americanstandard-us.com/p...l.aspx?id=1742

Looking at the "images" tab it shows one installed and the flange is showing on the long side, but not on the narrow side. That's completely different from their installation instructions.

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

petsparkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:12 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

I would fir out the studs so the CBU comes out and down over the lip to within 1/8 to 1/4" of the tub deck.

Advertisement

R&D Tile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 04:17 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&D Tile View Post
I would fir out the studs so the CBU comes out and down over the lip to within 1/8 to 1/4" of the tub deck.
Unfortunately, we've got it hung now and it's sitting on top of the flange. Is there anything else I should do, or do I need to take it down and fir out further? If I need to fir more, can I just put extra firring strips on top of each other to get the depth? I'd probably need to go 3-4 deep to get it out far enough.

I also have a duck liner that my husband installed to the studs and this is supposed to be flush with the CBU and a bead of silicone goes around it where it connects to the CBU. It's impossible to remove without destroying it. I don't want to spend another $50 on one of these if I can help it. Is there a trick to getting it out? Any way I can do this differently so I don't have to remove it?
Old 04-20-2009, 04:53 PM   #4

In case anyone else is having this issue, I just talked to American Standard. The CBU can go flush to the flange or come over it, but it must be 1/8 up from the tub deck if you choose to go over it. I'm glad they called me back!