Tile Tub Surround - Existing Insulation Has Vaporbarrier - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-29-2012, 07:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

tile tub surround - existing insulation has vaporbarrier

Long story short, I'm ripping out some blueboard in basement for a future tile tub sorround and replacing with 6mil plastic and CBU. Or that was the plan. I just ripped out some of the back wall and realized (remembered) that the builder had installed insulation around all outside walls. I don't recall the type of insulation, but it seems to be faced batts with a white plastic sheet on top that spans the whole wall, not just stuffed between studs. This is only on the back wall, not the sides. So that brings me to the question... what should I do on this back wall? See attached pic for what is there. It's in fairly good shape other than the square i punctured out with the drywall saw when starting this process and a few small rips and holes, but that could easily be patched. If I just apply the 6mil over that, I assume Id then be stuck with the no good moisture sandwich.

Should I just use what's there (patched) as the back vapor barrier and then attach and extend the plastic on each side for left and right walls. Or I could remove the plastic and paper face from insulation behind the entire tub area where the CBU is going and stick to the original plan. Or is that space (none, really) between the 2 plastics not enough to cause a moisture lock issue? Any other ideas? Right now I'm stuck on what to do next. Thanks!

Rich
Attached Thumbnails
tile tub surround - existing insulation has vaporbarrier-imag0122.jpg  

Advertisement

regeisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:23 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 616

What type enclosure are you installing? If it's a nail on one then just leave up what's there now.

Advertisement

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:42 AM   #3

Tile surround - forgot to specify that
Old 03-30-2012, 01:06 PM   #4
DIY'er

Rewards Points: 25

Is that an exterior wall?

I don't think that vapour barrier should be used as a moisture barrier for behind cement board.

I would still use cement board and proper moisture barrier behind it. It's so easy to do at this point.
DIYadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:16 PM   #5

yes, exterior wall. I've decided to remove the white plastic covering the insulation and cut a bunch of long slits in the faced insulation to allow for airflow, and then just continue as planned with the plastic barrier. Thanks for the input
Old 03-30-2012, 01:17 PM   #6
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by regeisle View Post
yes, exterior wall. I've decided to remove the white plastic covering the insulation and cut a bunch of long slits in the faced insulation to allow for airflow, and then just continue as planned with the plastic barrier. Thanks for the input
No problem. Just saw your post on John Bridge as well.
Old 03-30-2012, 03:18 PM   #7

yeap - i don't usually post all over the place, but it's a bit of a frenzy with this... baby on the way in about 2 weeks and trying to wrap this up before then.
Old 03-30-2012, 04:09 PM   #8
DIY'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by regeisle View Post
yeap - i don't usually post all over the place, but it's a bit of a frenzy with this... baby on the way in about 2 weeks and trying to wrap this up before then.
Congrats on the baby! I don't blame ya for multiple posts. In fact, John Bridge is the best forum for tile advice.

Advertisement

Tags
cbu , tile , tub surround