Tile Touching Tub? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2015, 01:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 31

Tile touching tub?

We are currently having a tile surround installed, and the first (bottom) row of tile is resting on the tub edge/lip surface. My tile contactor says this is ok, but i've always heard there should be a small separation like an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch where it is then caulked in to prevent water entry. He intends (I believe) to grout this very bottom edge that is right against the tub.

Also: He tends to get huffy whenever I question anything he does, but I can't help but ask because I have done a lot of research on the topic of tile tub surrounds.

We have already given him close to 2k for the install of the tub surround and (eventually) floor tile, and still have another 700 to go. I feel I should be able to ask for this to be done right. Advice?

Advertisement

New_2_DIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 07:08 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 4,602

Tile touching tub?

Sounds like your right and he's wrong, without a picture where taking your word for what it looks like.

Advertisement

Old 06-30-2015, 10:05 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,002

Tile touching tub?

Neither tile nor backer board should touch tub; http://apps1.eere.energy.gov/buildin...tub_shower.pdf
The tile/tub (material) expand/contract at different rates--- one glued to wall studs, other to floor (another two expansion places). Tub should move down with water installed (another place), here is why a gap is imperative to seal out water.

Gary
Old Yesterday, 09:20 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,356

Tile touching tub?

I don't think it is worth burning bridges with your installer. Since he has no patience (although that depends on how buggy you are - it is a two way street), don't use or recommend him later.
I am repairing a tile wall for my parents and some bottom tiles are touching the cast iron tub with rounded lip. This is, however, basement and the tub is sitting on a slab. This is repair and existing top half does not allow me to bring the backer board in. So I intend to grout the bottom as well and after curing and drying, I will caulk the bottom and side corner with osi quad clear. OSI quad clear is new for me and will ask in the forum, and if replies are negative, I will use silicon clear as usual, but its performance has been disappointing with yellowing and some peeling.
carpdad is offline   Reply With Quote