Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Tile shower surround meeting sheetrock on wall?

Hi everybody,

We are (probably) going to tile a shower surround which has two full walls and one partial wall (5' above the tub with a free standing ledge and a gap to the ceiling). There is melamine on all three sides, going to the top of the partial wall and most of the way up the two full walls.

We want to take the melamine down, cut the probably soggy sheetrock out, put up hardiboard, and tile up to where the melamine stops now (about 2 feet down from the ceiling). This approach would leave about 2 feet of painted sheetrock between the top of the tile and the ceiling. I am assuming we would replace the sheetrock up to the ceiling and repaint the whole bathroom.

Does anyone have advice on how to handle where the tile would meet the sheetrock? Should we put up lipped bullnose, or is there some special trick?

We think we will use flat bullnose at the top of the partial wall.

The house was built in 1950 if it matters.

Sorry I don't have any pictures, but I will work on it later.

forkandwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:14 AM   #2
DIY staff

Terminating the tile work with bullnose is the standard way--I'd suggest that route--Mike---

Old 03-01-2012, 10:10 AM   #3

I guess I know that bullnose is the accepted transition, my question was what to do if the hardiboard is not flush with the sheetrock.

Then the question is should I do whatever I have to to make it flush, or is there a tile solution if not.

Tx!
forkandwait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #4

The sheet rock and the tile board are both 1/2" thick so it should come out flat.
Just tile up high enough so it covers over the gap between the tile sheetrock and tile board.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote