Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-28-2011, 09:58 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 150
Question

Tile Shower Stall Issues

I was helping to take a shower door off a friends shower. Once the door was off, we started taking off the trim. My friend didn't realize that all the screws weren't out of the trim and when it was pulled off, it pulled off part of the wall. This shower is at least 20 years old. They used metal corner pieces which were totally rusted and I believe they used greenboard (which was totally soaked) for the walls.

We have decided that we are going to go down to the studs on the walls since we believe they used greenboard. We will use durock and paint on redguard.

I am just really concerned about the floor of the shower. The stud is soaked (and I am assuming needs to be replaced on each side although the other side isn't as bad) and I am sure the curb/step into the shower is soaked as well. Can I get away with doing the walls for now and going back later and doing the floor?
Attached Thumbnails
Tile Shower Stall Issues-013.jpg  

klmeenan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,384

Tile Shower Stall Issues

Looks like you have a nice little project there----Post a picture of the shower pan,if you can.---Mike---

Old 04-28-2011, 07:23 PM   #3

Tile Shower Stall Issues

I will be taking the tiled walls down tomorrow. In the mean time we sprayed bleach water to kill the mold/mildew (since I'm allergic to mold this seemed a wise choice). I will try to take pictures of what we see of the pan.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

Tile Shower Stall Issues

If that shower (of that vintage) is built semi-correctly then the shower pan liner is basically an integral part of the walls. I can tell you from looking at the photos so far no more pictures are necessary. That shower is at the end of its useful life in total. There is no way to partially fix that mess. I can smell it from here.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #5

Tile Shower Stall Issues

Does the shower pan need to be replaced? This is on a concrete floor in the basement.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:58 PM   #6
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,136

Tile Shower Stall Issues

You say the shower is (at least) twenty years old, you see the deterioration of the walls and substructure, and you ask does the shower pan need to be replaced.

I would say well-yowh.! Best to renew the whole thing, that would be the least expensive approach.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:04 PM   #7

Tile Shower Stall Issues

It's my first huge project. All the other things have been painting or flooring. At least I'm saving by doing it ourselves. It's going to be my mantra for my little $300.00 project blowing up in my face. To tile the walls with 12x12 only requires 67 tiles most of which I got at .58 a sq ft. Was going to do a one food band of different tiles as an accent but may have to skip that.

Shower is a corner shower so it is small.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 1,004

Tile Shower Stall Issues

While you are at it, why not make the shower bigger if space allows. That's how it often goes with home improvement projects. Little ones become big ones. You want to take Bud's advice about rebuilding the whole thing. Were it my project, I would be looking for prebuilt shower base recommendations. It depends on your skill and confidence level though. I have seen some fairly novice individuals take on the task of building their own shower base with success. You've come to the right place for answers. However you go, post pictures and ask questions as you go and you should come out the other side OK.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jim F For This Useful Post:
drtbk4ever (05-26-2011)
Old 04-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #9

Tile Shower Stall Issues

These are pictures we just took. First should be from inside shower at left stud where the shower door was.
Second pic is the tight stud from inside shower. Third pic is outside the shower on the right, then outside the shower on the left. Then one from dead on.
Attached Images

Old 04-28-2011, 09:47 PM   #10

Tile Shower Stall Issues

There is no room to make it bigger. Shower dimensions are 14.5 on left which has the nozzles/controls, then 37.5, next 33.25 and finally 18. The door opening is 28. All in inches. Oh an height is 85 inches. There literally is no additional room. We have a toilet and our vanity is 36 width but the depth on one side is 16 oh the right where it meets the shower and 21 on the left.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:16 AM   #11
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,384

Tile Shower Stall Issues

I would re do the pan---you can see that the curb and bottom of the walls were exposed to water.

There are several ways to build that shower system---Waterproof membrane of surface applied (paint on) waterproofing.

Leaving the old curb is a bad plan---Time for a new shower---make it all new.---Mike---
Old 04-29-2011, 08:56 AM   #12

Tile Shower Stall Issues

Ugh. The first photo is behind the 18" wall on the right. The second is the 33" wall next to it. Now on to do the 2 walls that worry me the most. Bottom 2 ft of each wall peel away and crumble. Last photo shows a nail about 1/4 inch above the floor. Knew you guys were totally right when I saw the screw and no evidence of a liner. Glad the kids aren't here the smell is not pleasant. Especially since the oldest has asthma.
Attached Images

Old 04-29-2011, 09:00 AM   #13

Tile Shower Stall Issues

At this point were thinking Portland cement/sand, PVC liner. Quick question does the cement sand then go on again or is it something else. I know we do another layer. I'm just not sure what. We are planning on doing redgard on the durock cause the other is so much more. Trying to be cheap but thorough. Or do we do hydoban on the 1st cement mix and the durock which cuts the cost of the second layer? Hope I'm making sense.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:07 PM   #14
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Tile Shower Stall Issues

Yuck!

A couple of questions to verify.

Although the floor is supposed to look like tile, that is some sort of vinyl sheeting, correct?

Is this on a slab?

It is starting to look like someone just framed a shower over a floor drain.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 03:02 PM   #15

Tile Shower Stall Issues

I haven't taken the curb off yet. So I don't see what's under the tile yet. And yes it is tile. I believe he did do a sloped concrete floor with no liner. He did put greenboard 1/4 above floor and he put silicone in the gap. He nailed the greenboard about 1/4 above the gap. He covered the silicone with tile.