Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-29-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1
Rewards Points: 0
Share |
Default

Tile Shower Remodel Questions


We are in the process of remodeling our master bath and I am in need of some suggestions on how to handle the shower. I have demoed the tile off the shower wall & floor and all but the last of the drywall is gone. The old walls were done in green backed drywall but it does not look like a sealer/barrier was used as the lower 1'-2' of the dry was pretty bad looking and pretty much crumbled off the wall. Since the stall is an odd side (57" wide) we are going to retile the floor and the walls.

Questions.
The insulation on outside wall looks ok but the backing has seen moisture at some point. Assume that replacing it is a no brainer since the wall is already open and it's not terribly expensive.

I am unsure about keeping or removing the current shower base. I have the tile off and looks to be something like hardiebacker but in ~2'x2' squares sitting on top of a mortar base. The outside of the base is makde from 1"x4" or 1"x6" on their sides with a metal flashing between them and the studs. They are in ok condition. Part of me wants to keep the base since we have not had leaking issues through the ceiling and the slope to the drain was good as we did not have standing water issues in the shower. But since a lot of my moisture issues were at the point where the base meets the walls and the fact we are going rebuild the curb to make it higher makes me want to break out the base and redo it. Just want to see if others feel this is the best route. I can snap a pic if that would help.

Thanks for any help. BTW the forums have been great for research on what to do, which items to use and how to do it.

roybfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 02:43 PM   #2
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,174
Rewards Points: 28
Default

Tile Shower Remodel Questions


Quote:
The old walls were done in green backed drywall but it does not look like a sealer/barrier was used as the lower 1'-2' of the dry was pretty bad looking and pretty much crumbled off the wall.
Probably wasn't, there wasn't such a thing back then more than likely. Well there was but no one ever used it.

Quote:
Since the stall is an odd side (57" wide)
Not at all "odd", pretty typical actually.

Quote:
The insulation on outside wall looks ok but the backing has seen moisture at some point. Assume that replacing it is a no brainer since the wall is already open and it's not terribly expensive.
Good call!

Quote:
I am unsure about keeping or removing the current shower base. I have the tile off and looks to be something like hardiebacker but in ~2'x2' squares sitting on top of a mortar base. The outside of the base is makde from 1"x4" or 1"x6" on their sides with a metal flashing between them and the studs. They are in ok condition. Part of me wants to keep the base since we have not had leaking issues through the ceiling and the slope to the drain was good as we did not have standing water issues in the shower. But since a lot of my moisture issues were at the point where the base meets the walls and the fact we are going rebuild the curb to make it higher makes me want to break out the base and redo it. Just want to see if others feel this is the best route. I can snap a pic if that would help.
Not sure what you have there but if the receptor was built anything like the walls were assembled then it would be wise to start over there also.
I doubt you will be able to change the curb without redoing the entire shower floor receptor.

A picture would be dandy!

__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help us make a remodel decision for selling home pleas 3detailer Kitchen & Bath Remodeling 11 04-27-2010 11:36 AM
Trimming installed tile with tile blade in normal circular saw? jdraughn Tools 5 12-13-2009 09:07 PM
How to tile around a Pre fab shower base geoffthemonk Building & Construction 1 11-07-2009 09:10 AM
Tile Baseboard on outside of plastic shower pan at linoleum joint? GaryS Tiling, ceramics, marble 2 07-26-2009 12:39 PM
Shower tile need some help here dirtyb115 Remodeling 2 12-23-2006 12:27 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts

Copyright © 2003-2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.