Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-18-2010, 07:25 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Tile floor in a shower

Is there a certain grout I should use on a shower floor? We are redoing a small shower where the grout has disintegrated and the tiles are loose. Before we get started I wanted to see if there is a "waterproof/water resistant" grout availabe.

Thanks

W & P @ ourteamjerome

Last edited by ourteamjerome; 07-18-2010 at 07:27 AM. Reason: misspelling
ourteamjerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,452

Tile floor in a shower

Epoxy grout---SpectraLock by Latacrete----I do hope that you investigated why the original tile failed.
-------Mike--------

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 02:36 PM   #3

Tile floor in a shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Epoxy grout---SpectraLock by Latacrete----I do hope that you investigated why the original tile failed.
-------Mike--------

Well, not yet. Just doing some research now. We bought the house about four years ago and it was over twenty years old then. I'd like to say that maybe it was just in poor condition from age. The sellers did what I would consider a "quick" little job of putting new grout over the old to make it look nice enough to sell. One of the problems is with the grout being in bad shape a lot of water has gotten under the tiles and we've had two crack. These two are laid on the most sloped part of the floor near the drain. The floor itself feels very solid. But if I move that first broken tile, that would signal the beginning of another project. Not ready for that one quite yet. We have tile on the floor and that fake marble stuff on the walls that go up to a low popcorn ceiling. I would like to tile the entire shower including ceiling. Is that feasible? Or safe for that matter?

Thanks,

wm
Old 07-18-2010, 04:52 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,452

Tile floor in a shower

Ceilings get tile all the time-----Not especially difficult.

The reason I asked about the condition of the pan-----That pan may be waterlogged and failing-

Be prepared for that possibility---loose tiles frequently are a symptom of the floor (or pan in this case)
beginning to fail.
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 05:33 PM   #5

Tile floor in a shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Ceilings get tile all the time-----Not especially difficult.

The reason I asked about the condition of the pan-----That pan may be waterlogged and failing-

Be prepared for that possibility---loose tiles frequently are a symptom of the floor (or pan in this case)
beginning to fail.
I've checked for any kind of seepage around the outside bottom just to see if the pan has developed any kind of serious leakage. I'm still in the "planning stage" right now but this project is coming soon. Thanks for the info. It's been a big help. Any other kind of pitfalls that you may think of concerning tearing out this kind of shower please feel free to mention.

Thanks!
Old 07-18-2010, 06:40 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 2,000

Tile floor in a shower

This is not just a, "replace the grout" job. This will be more involved. Water under a tile does not make it crack. An inadequate substrate will do that.
Don't be surprised if the shower ends up gutted to the studs.
Ron
Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ron6519 For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (07-20-2010)
Old 07-21-2010, 03:05 PM   #7

Tile floor in a shower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron6519 View Post
This is not just a, "replace the grout" job. This will be more involved. Water under a tile does not make it crack. An inadequate substrate will do that.
Don't be surprised if the shower ends up gutted to the studs.
Ron
Thanks Ron, that's why I mention in the earlier posts about "tearing out this kind of shower". My wife wouldn't be surprised at all. Many of my projects start this way.

Thanks again,

wm