Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #1

Share |

tile directly on bare veneer plaster?

I'm re-doing my kitchen, my questions are about adding a tile backplace in two different types spaces...

The new counter will include a 3" tall backsplash built in, so I expect that the tile will receive extremely little moisture even near the sink, or probably none at all in most other places.

First space is "new" plaster. Wall torn down to studs and replaced with blue board which received a Uni-Kal veneer plaster. What I have there now is just the bare plaster (no primer). The plaster job was done about 2 weeks ago, and I don't anticipate tiling for at least 2 weeks, meaning it will have cured for over 30 days before I start.
Questions: Can I tile directly onto the bare plaster? Or should I prime it first? If I do prime, is there any specific type of primer I should use? For example, maybe Sherwin-William's Loxon? We've been using the S.W. "Multi-Purpose" latex primer everywhere else in the house.

Second space is "old" plaster. National Gypsum rock board, then rough coat, then final coat, total age is 60 years old and in solid shape, no cracking... they have probably 2-3 layers of paint on them (not much more, previously owners for 56 years did next to nothing), about the only issues w/ the wall are that in some small spaces the paint is peeling back to the finish coat of plaster (perhaps painted before fully cured?)
Questions are basically the same--can I tile directly onto this surface (after scraping any loose paint of course), or should I prime first? Or should I try to scape/sand the existing paint (which is most likely leaded!)

Both spaces will have the tile end before the wall... meaning people will see the end of the tiling job... so I'd rather not screw 1/4" hardi up there or something similar. But maybe something else much thinner would be OK, I'm just not familiar with anything

Thanks in advance for any advice!

bubbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:36 PM   #2

I see no reason why you can't tile over either surface.
Ron

Ron6519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
Tileguy

Agreed.

Quote:
First space is "new" plaster.
Go for it, don't use any primer.

Quote:
Second space is "old" plaster. National Gypsum rock board, then rough coat, then final coat, total age is 60 years old and in solid shape, no cracking... they have probably 2-3 layers of paint on them
Seriously scuff the paint. Use a sander with an aggressive sandpaper. Be sure to wear a mask and safety glasses.

Quote:
Both spaces will have the tile end before the wall... meaning people will see the end of the tiling job... so I'd rather not screw 1/4" hardi up there or something similar. But maybe something else much thinner would be OK, I'm just not familiar with anything
You won't need any tile backer at all. Use modified thinset mortar and you'll be fine.

As far as the exposed (tile) edges you could use bullnose tile if it is available in a suitable manner to match your tile, or you could also use a metal tile edging. The tile edging is what I use most. Here's what I'm talking about. The edging is also available in a smaller square edge without the bold radius you see here. It also comes in different thicknesses to accommodate any tile thickness.

http://www.schluter.com/2_1_rondec.aspx
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 08:10 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
You won't need any tile backer at all. Use modified thinset mortar and you'll be fine.

As far as the exposed (tile) edges you could use bullnose tile if it is available in a suitable manner to match your tile, or you could also use a metal tile edging. The tile edging is what I use most. Here's what I'm talking about. The edging is also available in a smaller square edge without the bold radius you see here. It also comes in different thicknesses to accommodate any tile thickness.

http://www.schluter.com/2_1_rondec.aspx

That's perfect! I have two unfinished edges, so this will make it look much better then leaving the edge rough!

"Modified Thinset" ... flexabond or versabond?
Old 03-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #5
Tileguy

Versabond will work for those installations.

What about the exposed tile edges?
Old 03-03-2011, 08:24 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Versabond will work for those installations.

What about the exposed tile edges?
I'm going use the metal edging you suggested
Old 03-03-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
Tileguy

Good deal!

That stuff comes in many metal colors and even more colors in plastic. Just be sure to match the thickness to the tile thickness, it just looks better I think.