Tile Above Tub Surround? 3 Inch Or 12 Inch Tiles? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-09-2012, 12:01 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Tile above tub surround? 3 inch or 12 inch tiles?

I am just about ready in my bathroom remodel for new floor tile. I have decided rather than paint above the shower surround, I would like to use the same color tile as what we are putting on the floor.

The area above the surround is only 31 inches from top of surround to ceiling so I am thinking the 12 inch tiles will be too large for such a small area. The guy we are buying our tile from disagrees and says it would look ok. 3 inch tiles are available, which is what I think we need to use.

What do you think?

Advertisement

bassadict69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

It's really a matter of opinion. And since its your bathroom, your opinion rules!

Advertisement

Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:24 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 75

Let me reword then... What would you do if it were your bathroom?
bassadict69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 11:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,000

It is all a question of what you like.
If it were my bathroom, I would do one of two things.

I would use the 12 inch tiles separated by a border of glass mosaic tiles, or I would cut the 12 inch tiles in half, and install them in a brick pattern, but if they are ceramic tiles, you can't cut them, only if they are granite or limestone.

But hey, it's your bathroom, and whatever you like works.
yummy mummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 03:26 AM   #5
Stuck in the 70's

Rewards Points: 1,018

Quote:
Originally Posted by yummy mummy View Post
I would use the 12 inch tiles separated by a border of glass mosaic tiles, or I would cut the 12 inch tiles in half, and install them in a brick pattern, but if they are ceramic tiles, you can't cut them, only if they are granite or limestone.
I think what Yummy meant to say is although you can cut ceramic tile, the cut edge can be noticeably different from the manufactured edge. How noticeable will depend on how the edge is manufactured and if the surface of the tile is a different color from the body of the tile, so cutting ceramic tile to use them as half tiles may not be the best idea. I like her ideas though.

You can cut them, just pay attention to position your cuts where they are least visible.
It's a little more challenging, but I would also play with the idea of putting them "on point" or using a diamond pattern.

I'm old school, I like graph paper, but I know there are plenty of software programs out there to play with ideas.

Last edited by Blondesense; 02-10-2012 at 03:31 AM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote