Tackling A Tub Replacement Myself...Help Me Out? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum


Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Benton, La
Posts: 65
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Tackling a tub replacement myself...Help me out?


After much debate, we have decided to replace our old yellow bathtub with a new one rather than refinish it. Also, I have reluctantly decided to try to do this myself , yes, I am a glutton for punishment and after each project I tackle, I always say it will be my last but once again here I am!

The house was built in 1978 and all this plumbing and tub are original. House is a slab built house so there is no crawlspace, etc.

Should I expect problems with the drain of the tub and matching it up with the new tub? I do not have the tub out yet so I am having trouble picturing in my mind how the drain will connect knowing there is little chance of the tub measurements being the same.

Second, all the valves and plumbing are being replaced also...seems like a straightforward swap to me, but I have been mistaken before.

Third, I am posting pics of the old tub and its setup... My first, "how the heck do I do this" question is how does the drain disconnect from the tub?








Advertisement

bassadict69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,645
Rewards Points: 2,604
Default

Tackling a tub replacement myself...Help me out?


told you were here.....is there an access on the other side of wall? 1st take the screws off the face plate and lift out stopper....2nd take strainer cover off drain assy on tub....unscrew drain ..

Advertisement

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #3
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Benton, La
Posts: 65
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Tackling a tub replacement myself...Help me out?


No, no access on the other side of the wall without removing the cabinets which I am hoping to avoid.

I got the stopper out, trying to find something to use to unscrew the drain now.
bassadict69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:06 PM   #4
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,645
Rewards Points: 2,604
Default

Tackling a tub replacement myself...Help me out?


Quote:
Originally Posted by bassadict69 View Post
No, no access on the other side of the wall without removing the cabinets which I am hoping to avoid.

I got the stopper out, trying to find something to use to unscrew the drain now.
Iam sure you don't have a strainer wrench or po plug wrench....so you need something like plyers to get down on the lugs of the strainer to remove it ...some times we cut with sawzall if need be ...then we hit tub with sledge hammer.....we cover with a drop cloth ...go for it
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #5
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Benton, La
Posts: 65
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Tackling a tub replacement myself...Help me out?


Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
Iam sure you don't have a strainer wrench or po plug wrench....so you need something like plyers to get down on the lugs of the strainer to remove it ...some times we cut with sawzall if need be ...then we hit tub with sledge hammer.....we cover with a drop cloth ...go for it
Pliers are not budging it...what do you cut?
bassadict69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,645
Rewards Points: 2,604
Default

Tackling a tub replacement myself...Help me out?


Quote:
Originally Posted by bassadict69 View Post
Pliers are not budging it...what do you cut?
we cut the crome ring into threads so it can be pryed with screwdriver...keep in mind your not saving tub or part you are removing...going to replumb drain anyway ...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:44 PM   #7
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 141
Rewards Points: 81
Default

Tackling a tub replacement myself...Help me out?


I'm watching this thread. Please post pics of your progress. Do you have a dremel? Maybe you could the cutoff wheel down there below the ring.

How heavy would a tub like that weigh??
Total Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,645
Rewards Points: 2,604
Default

Tackling a tub replacement myself...Help me out?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Tool View Post
I'm watching this thread. Please post pics of your progress. Do you have a dremel? Maybe you could the cutoff wheel down there below the ring.

How heavy would a tub like that weigh??
around 300-375lbs
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:55 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Benton, La
Posts: 65
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Tackling a tub replacement myself...Help me out?


I will surely be posting pics as I go along!

Looks like tomorrow I will be trying the saw method or something...I now have a set of pliers and a pair of needlenose that are in multiple pieces!
bassadict69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 11:00 PM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: pa
Posts: 4,645
Rewards Points: 2,604
Default

Tackling a tub replacement myself...Help me out?


Quote:
Originally Posted by bassadict69 View Post
I will surely be posting pics as I go along!

Looks like tomorrow I will be trying the saw method or something...I now have a set of pliers and a pair of needlenose that are in multiple pieces!
you could try hammer and small chisel tap around edge of strainer to left to try an brake it free...
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Benton, La
Posts: 65
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Tackling a tub replacement myself...Help me out?


I ended up running to Lowes and buying the tool that was needed to remove the drain...$14 later and about 30 seconds at home with it and it is loose!

I am hoping to be able to remove the tub once some help comes over later...looks like that is gonna be an adventure also!
bassadict69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #12
Tileguy
 
Bud Cline's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 10,484
Rewards Points: 2,616
Default

Tackling a tub replacement myself...Help me out?


Bassaddict you may have to go inside of the vanity and cut a hole through the cabinet and the wall to access the tub drain. Do it neatly so it can be repaired later. I don't see this happening for you otherwise.
__________________
XXX
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #13
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Benton, La
Posts: 65
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Tackling a tub replacement myself...Help me out?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Bassaddict you may have to go inside of the vanity and cut a hole through the cabinet and the wall to access the tub drain. Do it neatly so it can be repaired later. I don't see this happening for you otherwise.
The cabinet immediately on the other side of the wall is too small for access...I guess I will have to go ahead and remove the countertop so I can remove the first set of cabinets. We are planning to put down a new countertop anyway, but was hoping to have at least a partially usable bathroom until the new countertop is ready! Oh well!

This is a pic of what is on the other side of the wall... and yes, the cabinets are getting resurfaced and painted! The yellow sunflower theme must go!

bassadict69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #14
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Hartfield VA
Posts: 27,785
Rewards Points: 686
Default

Tackling a tub replacement myself...Help me out?


It would be far better to go buy a sbud wrenh to remove that drain, your going to need one to install the new drain anyway. It's sold in the plumbing area in Lowes or Home Depot. It looks like a hollow tube with what looks like a castles tower on each end. The best one is made by Ridgid. It will fit 4 differant strainer sizes.
Your also going to find the drain will not line up, whick is fine just buy a whole new setup there adjustable.
That's an antique shower control valve, to switch it out your going to have to buy all new fittings. A new one will look nothing like that one.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #15
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Benton, La
Posts: 65
Rewards Points: 75
Default

Tackling a tub replacement myself...Help me out?


Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
It would be far better to go buy a sbud wrenh to remove that drain, your going to need one to install the new drain anyway. It's sold in the plumbing area in Lowes or Home Depot. It looks like a hollow tube with what looks like a castles tower on each end. The best one is made by Ridgid. It will fit 4 differant strainer sizes.
Your also going to find the drain will not line up, whick is fine just buy a whole new setup there adjustable.
That's an antique shower control valve, to switch it out your going to have to buy all new fittings. A new one will look nothing like that one.
I bought the tool today and the drain is now loose. As for the shower valves, they have been replaced and still leak so it ALL is being replaced with a new single handle valve and we hope to move the shower head higher, which does not look to be that big a deal!

Advertisement

bassadict69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing Size of Replacement Window joside Remodeling 10 05-30-2012 05:46 PM
New replacement window problems iminaquagmire Windows and Doors 7 11-12-2011 12:56 AM
replace replacement windows theone Windows and Doors 3 10-19-2011 10:16 PM
Wood Sash to Vinyl Replacement Windows Pittsville Building & Construction 3 05-27-2011 03:24 AM
window sash replacement kits? jimhome Remodeling 5 11-02-2009 01:48 PM




Top of Page | View New Posts