Tackling A Tub Replacement Myself...Help Me Out? - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-26-2011, 09:30 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Tackling a tub replacement myself...Help me out?

After much debate, we have decided to replace our old yellow bathtub with a new one rather than refinish it. Also, I have reluctantly decided to try to do this myself , yes, I am a glutton for punishment and after each project I tackle, I always say it will be my last but once again here I am!

The house was built in 1978 and all this plumbing and tub are original. House is a slab built house so there is no crawlspace, etc.

Should I expect problems with the drain of the tub and matching it up with the new tub? I do not have the tub out yet so I am having trouble picturing in my mind how the drain will connect knowing there is little chance of the tub measurements being the same.

Second, all the valves and plumbing are being replaced also...seems like a straightforward swap to me, but I have been mistaken before.

Third, I am posting pics of the old tub and its setup... My first, "how the heck do I do this" question is how does the drain disconnect from the tub?

Advertisement

bassadict69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 09:37 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,604

told you were here.....is there an access on the other side of wall? 1st take the screws off the face plate and lift out stopper....2nd take strainer cover off drain assy on tub....unscrew drain ..

Advertisement

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:00 PM   #3

No, no access on the other side of the wall without removing the cabinets which I am hoping to avoid.

I got the stopper out, trying to find something to use to unscrew the drain now.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassadict69 View Post
No, no access on the other side of the wall without removing the cabinets which I am hoping to avoid.

I got the stopper out, trying to find something to use to unscrew the drain now.
Iam sure you don't have a strainer wrench or po plug wrench....so you need something like plyers to get down on the lugs of the strainer to remove it ...some times we cut with sawzall if need be ...then we hit tub with sledge hammer.....we cover with a drop cloth ...go for it
Old 12-26-2011, 10:23 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben's plumbing View Post
Iam sure you don't have a strainer wrench or po plug wrench....so you need something like plyers to get down on the lugs of the strainer to remove it ...some times we cut with sawzall if need be ...then we hit tub with sledge hammer.....we cover with a drop cloth ...go for it
Pliers are not budging it...what do you cut?
Old 12-26-2011, 10:29 PM   #6

Quote:
Pliers are not budging it...what do you cut?
we cut the crome ring into threads so it can be pryed with screwdriver...keep in mind your not saving tub or part you are removing...going to replumb drain anyway ...
Old 12-26-2011, 10:44 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 81

I'm watching this thread. Please post pics of your progress. Do you have a dremel? Maybe you could the cutoff wheel down there below the ring.

How heavy would a tub like that weigh??
Total Tool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 10:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Total Tool View Post
I'm watching this thread. Please post pics of your progress. Do you have a dremel? Maybe you could the cutoff wheel down there below the ring.

How heavy would a tub like that weigh??
around 300-375lbs
Old 12-26-2011, 10:55 PM   #9

I will surely be posting pics as I go along!

Looks like tomorrow I will be trying the saw method or something...I now have a set of pliers and a pair of needlenose that are in multiple pieces!
Old 12-26-2011, 11:00 PM   #10

Quote:
I will surely be posting pics as I go along!

Looks like tomorrow I will be trying the saw method or something...I now have a set of pliers and a pair of needlenose that are in multiple pieces!
you could try hammer and small chisel tap around edge of strainer to left to try an brake it free...
Old 12-27-2011, 04:14 PM   #11

I ended up running to Lowes and buying the tool that was needed to remove the drain...$14 later and about 30 seconds at home with it and it is loose!

I am hoping to be able to remove the tub once some help comes over later...looks like that is gonna be an adventure also!
Old 12-27-2011, 04:30 PM   #12
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,616

Bassaddict you may have to go inside of the vanity and cut a hole through the cabinet and the wall to access the tub drain. Do it neatly so it can be repaired later. I don't see this happening for you otherwise.
Old 12-27-2011, 05:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
Bassaddict you may have to go inside of the vanity and cut a hole through the cabinet and the wall to access the tub drain. Do it neatly so it can be repaired later. I don't see this happening for you otherwise.
The cabinet immediately on the other side of the wall is too small for access...I guess I will have to go ahead and remove the countertop so I can remove the first set of cabinets. We are planning to put down a new countertop anyway, but was hoping to have at least a partially usable bathroom until the new countertop is ready! Oh well!

This is a pic of what is on the other side of the wall... and yes, the cabinets are getting resurfaced and painted! The yellow sunflower theme must go!

Old 12-27-2011, 05:21 PM   #14

Rewards Points: 686

It would be far better to go buy a sbud wrenh to remove that drain, your going to need one to install the new drain anyway. It's sold in the plumbing area in Lowes or Home Depot. It looks like a hollow tube with what looks like a castles tower on each end. The best one is made by Ridgid. It will fit 4 differant strainer sizes.
Your also going to find the drain will not line up, whick is fine just buy a whole new setup there adjustable.
That's an antique shower control valve, to switch it out your going to have to buy all new fittings. A new one will look nothing like that one.
joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 05:28 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
It would be far better to go buy a sbud wrenh to remove that drain, your going to need one to install the new drain anyway. It's sold in the plumbing area in Lowes or Home Depot. It looks like a hollow tube with what looks like a castles tower on each end. The best one is made by Ridgid. It will fit 4 differant strainer sizes.
Your also going to find the drain will not line up, whick is fine just buy a whole new setup there adjustable.
That's an antique shower control valve, to switch it out your going to have to buy all new fittings. A new one will look nothing like that one.
I bought the tool today and the drain is now loose. As for the shower valves, they have been replaced and still leak so it ALL is being replaced with a new single handle valve and we hope to move the shower head higher, which does not look to be that big a deal!

Advertisement