Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-08-2010, 01:07 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Red face

Suspending Overhead Peninsula Cabinets

My sister is planning a partial kitchen remodel and has asked me to help. I've done a lot of remodeling but I'm no engineer. But my best sense tells me that my her peninsula overhead cabinet is at risk of falling. It's where she stores all of her dishes and glassware.

Her oak cabinets were custom built. The upper peninsula cabinet is made from oak plywood with oak face frames, doors front and back. The cabinet is about 5' long, the doors have glass inserts (even empty, this cabinet is very heavy). The cabinet is mounted to studs on the wall on one end as well as to its adjacent cabinet. The other end is suspended from two thin screw rods coming out of the ceiling, about 3/16" diameter, through the top of the cabinet, secured with washers and nuts. After 15 years, the suspended end has dropped over an inch and there is a serious bow along the bottom of the face frames, front and back.

Does anyone have an idea, other than a soffit that would look look good with the tuscan look she wants? The ceilings are over 9', the cabinets are 30" tall. She has a 2-story house so the only access to the ceiling joists requires removing sheetrock. We have no idea how the rods are tied into the ceiling joists.

Last edited by parkerb; 04-08-2010 at 01:19 PM. Reason: clarity
parkerb is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to parkerb For This Useful Post:
bdog640 (03-01-2014)
Old 04-08-2010, 01:36 PM   #2
Mod

Rewards Points: 2,274

Maybe a little drywall patch is in order if you know there’s no blocking up there. My cabinet is hanging off decorative chain, looks better than a rod.

kwikfishron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #3

I'm ALSO am removing my kitchen cabinet support posts.

The cabinet is attached to the main beam of the house along the length, and to another cabinet at one end.

Can I attach a 3/4 inch plywood piece inside the cabinet top with an angle iron connecting along to the beam?

Is there an easier way I can secure this cabinet, without hanging it from the ceiling? I would like to use the main beam as a support. The cabinet has been firmly attached for 14 years in this position, but we are getting new countertops and need to remove these supports.

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 07:43 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 150

Parker B; As the cabinet has dropped over an inch in 5' it is likely that whatever the rods are hung from has moved. It sounds like you need to remove drywall and have a look at the structure. Once you can see the frame you can figure your options. Rods or chain can work if the frame above is capable of supporting the load.
TheCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:45 AM   #5

Suspended Overhead Peninsula Cabinets!

Last edited by Fletch; 11-26-2012 at 10:52 AM.
Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
peninsula cabinets, suspend cabinets