Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2009, 09:13 AM   #1

Share |

Surround Bath/Shower finishing

We installed a new Acrylic tub/shower unit in an old home with Plaster walls. After removing the old plastic surround, we had to place sheetrock above the enclosure to finish off the the wall.

Where the sheetrock overlaps the enclosure there is a seem that I filled with Silicone caulk. Here is where we ran into trouble.

The caulk won't hold paint and I can not get a good edge on where the paint stops and the surround begins. I need a small piece of moulding or sopmething. Any ideas on a trim maybe less than 1/2 inch to rest atop the surround? I'd need to glue it or maybe use thin brads I can shoot with a nail gun.

Thanks, the sheetrock just does not sit well on top of this surround

JackVa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 02:51 PM   #2
Renovation Contractor

I fear that your option is to remove the caulking and redo with a siliconized paintable caulk. If you made the proper repairs the first time it will be a breeze the second. Back cut and get rid of it and then patch, recaulk, and repaint.

I looked into the issue a little and am not sure how this will work short or long term. I promise nothing but here is one possible solution I found. I do not advocate or use any of the products or name brands that follow but simply post them here for your reference and consideration.

Use an Alkyd Oil Primer for this; just be sure to trim away any excess caulking. If you are thinking of painting this crown with a latex base paint follow the Alkyd-Oil Primer with a coat of Glidden's Gripper Primer/Sealer and you'll be able to use the latex. Gripper is the best overall primer/sealer on the market.

Good luck and if it works let us know! Thanks and good luck and fear not you are not the first or only one to have done this

Paragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 07:37 PM   #3
Man of many hats

Another method I have seen used in this situation is to recaulk over the existing silicone with a latex+ silicone caulking. It will accept paint and not interfere with the sealant you have already applied. Since it is above the surround and will rarely be molested, it should allow you to paint over it.