Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-26-2010, 01:46 PM   #1

Share |

support for tub apron

My old tub apron sat directly on the slab. I was thinking of using a thin strip of linoleum as a cushion and moisture barrier. Unnecessary?

tns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:40 AM   #2

support for tub apron

I decided to get a cast iron, apron tub. My slab isn't exactly level and metal shims are suggested for the legs. With a level I can estimate and glue down some metal shims, but is this close enough? Considering the difficulty of moving the tub, and getting at the feet I want this to be a one shot placement. I am thinking it might be smart to add a thin shim of slightly compressible material like linoleum to all 4 legs. That way if any leg is 'heavy', it can squish down the material a bit. I assume I'll need to shim the apron too, but at least that is easily accessible.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:24 PM   #3

support for tub apron

Yes they are heavy but it is possible and probably necessary to raise the tub and trial and error the metal shims under the feet. You can start with the first shim permanently placed under each foot then add and remove others if necessary. The apron can be supported temporarily of scrap 2x4's while you are placing the shims so the tub doesn't get dropped on your hands.
Jim F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:27 PM   #4

support for tub apron

On second thought, if the tub is resting on a concrete slab, it may not be necessary to have a shim under each foot. That is more to prevent the feet from sinking into a wood subfloor.
Old 09-30-2010, 11:12 AM   #5

support for tub apron

What is supposed to keep this type of tub from moving around? With a steel tub you have nailing flange and a support stringer, but my instructions do not show the use of a support stringer around the perimeter. Do I shim it to prevent lateral movement?
Old 09-30-2010, 08:16 PM   #6

support for tub apron

Your backer board should rest on that curved lip on three sides. That should hold it pretty well then the tiles layer on over that and follow the curve a little lower to about 1/8" abuve the horizontal surface then silicone caulk. What ever material you use under your finished floor be it backer board or wood underlayment should butt against the apron which will definately keep it from sliding out.