Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-15-2012, 10:42 AM   #1
Liv

Share |

Is subway tile a lot more expensive than square tile?

I haven't gone to the tile shop just yet, but I am looking at photos to get ideas of how we want to re-tile the master bathroom. I really like the tile in the two photos I attached. I would like to do grey subway tiles in the shower, but is it usually pretty expensive to go this route (like twice or more the cost of square tile)? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Is subway tile a lot more expensive than square tile?-grey-tile.jpg   Is subway tile a lot more expensive than square tile?-greytile2.jpg  

Liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
Too Short? Cut it Again!

None in your pictutres really look like subway tiles to me but I assume you mean the shape. I haven't had reason to price tile in awhile but would encourage you to shop around or even online. Obviously square tile is produced in greater quantity so might be cheaper. Get what you want though if the difference is not tremendous. After all, how often are you going to do this and shouldn't you be happy rather than just satisfied with the new bath?

Have you checked with a real flooring store (if one still exists near you) or only at the national chain outlets and box stores?

user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 01:15 AM   #3
Stuck in the 70's

I've been looking at more tile recently for another project. The smaller tile (like a 6") does generally run a bit more a square foot than the corresponding 12" tile, but final cost depends more on the tile you choose. You might get lucky and find something you like cheap. You just gotta see what is out there and do the math.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012, 06:16 AM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondesense View Post
I've been looking at more tile recently for another project. The smaller tile (like a 6") does generally run a bit more a square foot than the corresponding 12" tile, but final cost depends more on the tile you choose. You might get lucky and find something you like cheap. You just gotta see what is out there and do the math.
You caused me to question my comment. I don't think the op was asking about large 12x12 or 6x6 tile commparisons like those shown but was suggesting that prices being found for small square tiles (not shown) were higher than the rectangular tiles shown on the shower walls? I guess they are generically referred to as subway tiles because of shape. Authentic subway tiles are/were a high gloss porcelain. Pretty amazing material given the abuse they have taken over the years? And the stories they could tell. This station is near my first NYC apartment and looks pretty much the same today. I would think the price range on subway tiles is going to be the same as for any other and will vary broadly depending on quality, glaze, thickness, etc.

Still think some online exploration worth a shot. I hate taking business away from legit local business but most flooring companies are now national chain outlets. Box stores are the other option. None of these give anything back to communities in which they operate so I have no qualms buying online if they are the only options.

Found these gray marble tiles with a quick search. Don't know how much you need or what your budget is but I bet they would make for a nice looking surface.

http://www.subwaytileoutlet.com/prod...FYe8KgodF1JfLA

Last edited by user1007; 03-17-2012 at 06:29 AM. Reason: Added URL and Photo
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #5
In a little over my head

We just bought tile. Large rectangular for the walls and floor, little square ones for the shower floor. Same color and mfgr. I don't remember the shape affecting the $$ per sq ft much. The bullnose cost more, sold by the piece. But the field tiles' cost per sq foot was similar.
ratherbefishing is offline   Reply With Quote