Steps In Complete Bathroom Remodel - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-29-2010, 06:40 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Steps in Complete Bathroom Remodel

I'm curious to know what jobs you would complete first in a complete tear down and remodel of a bathroom. Complete tear down includes plumbing, electrical, windows, insulation foundation and floor joists.

As I stare at my bathroom and scratch my head, I think the proper order is, foundation and floor joists, plumbing, electrical, insulation and windows.

Any thoughts are appreciated as I'm brand spankin' new to this.

Advertisement

JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 02:19 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Do the framing, floor joists and windows first. Then plumbing and electrical. Then insulate and close the walls. Are you doing this yourself? Get someone to help you if you're not sure. If the structure or floor joists are done wrong, it will crack your tile and waste all your hard work. Also, a miswired outlet could burn your house down. You need GFI outlets and that kind of stuff.

Advertisement

jonathan03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 518

Foundation and joist problems aren't something you usually fix in just one room. Usually there is problems throughout the house that need to be fixed. Depending on what your situation is you can sister in new joists if yours are not level but sometimes that is just a bandaid and doesn't fix the real problem.

You should take care of any foundation problems then your joists and then framing and windows. Then plumbing and then electrical. Insulation and then tub install and then drywall finish and painting. Then bathroom fixtures.

This is just a generac answer and you really need to share some more info to get a better answer.
ponch37300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 04:41 PM   #4
Too Short? Cut it Again!

Rewards Points: 2,000

First step. Scale out the room on paper. Trot it down to the building department to see what you are going to have to do to meet code, what permits you are going to have to pull, and how much of the work you are allowed to do yourself where you live. You may need plumbing and electrical contractor sign-offs in addition to inspections and most will not do this if they do not do the work. Don't blame them.
user1007 is offline   Reply With Quote