Starting Tile Backsplash Half-way Up Wall - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Starting tile backsplash half-way up wall

I am remodeling a kitchen and replacing the drywall with 1/2 inch greenboard drywall. The stove is a free standing so there is no counter top back splash. I want to put a decorative tile backsplash behind the stove.

Do I need to go all the way down to the floor with the tile or can the tile start halfway up the wall, near the top of the stove? If it starts halfway up, do I need to do something to create a "shelf" for the bottom tiles to rest on or will the adhesive hold the tile where it is?

Also, do I need to use cement board in this application?

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Regards,

Dale

Advertisement

dalepres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,002

Dale,
your greenboard will be fine. I usually go at least one row of tile below the one that starts at the countertop level, when you are going behind a freestanding stove. Cut a piece of 1x whatever you have lying around, or a piece of leftover casing, as long as it is straight. Measure and determine where your bottom edge of your row of tile is going to end up and fasten the board to the wall with a couple of drywall screws into the studs. Leave it up till you're done grouting, it'll help keep the vertical grout joints full at the bottom.
Mike Hawkins

Advertisement

firehawkmph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to firehawkmph For This Useful Post:
Bud Cline (09-13-2011), dalepres (06-14-2012)
Old 09-13-2011, 08:51 PM   #3
Tileguy

Rewards Points: 2,576

My thoughts exactly.
Bud Cline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 75

Thanks both of you for the replies. It's a great suggestion and I'll follow it.
dalepres is offline   Reply With Quote