Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-12-2009, 08:48 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

"Stained" granite with acid cleaner - help!!!

We have Uba Tuba (black) granite slab countertops and after my husband worked with the acid cleaner on the slate flooring, he set the bottle on a towel placed on the counterop. Evidently, a small drip trickled down the side of the bottle, the towel absorbed and spread it, and we ended up with a 3" "stain" in diameter. The pores in the granite absorbed the acid and left an unsightly white stain. The folks I bought the countertop from recommended a poultice (baking soda and dish soap) that did not work and then said I was "out of luck" because the granite had been bleached through each of the pores. Sanding wouldn't work because it's too deep. I need suggestions because we're in serious trouble if we ruined a 2 month old piece of expensive granite!!!

aggiejess7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
I blame ProWallGuy

Rewards Points: 150

Contact your local farm supply and get the largest dog house they sell. Contact an electrician and have them wire the dog house for cable and some lights.

I think your hubby will be quite comfy out there. Or not.

Double A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:46 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 510

did a quick google search for related subject, this is what i found:

Quote:
Removing BLEACH stain from marble and granite
BLEACH

Types:
Common household bleach, Clorox, soft scrub with bleach, mildew killer like X-14 and similar brands.
Problem:
Bleach contains sodium hypochlorite, which is an acid and can etch soft marbles.It may also lighten certain sedementry type stones like shell stone and coquina.
Solution:
1.Flood the area with clean water to remove any excess bleach.
2. If the stone is etched than repolish the area with a polishing powder such as aluminum oxide and oxalic acid .I recommend using a pre-packaged powder.Apply a small amount of powder add some water and rub the area into a slurry with a white buffing pad.
3.If the stone has lighten there is very little that can be done.An light application of linseed oil may cosmetically darken the area to help hide the discoloration.
Knucklez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:46 PM   #4

It's amazing what others can find on google that you can't! Haha! I've searched every way I know how and all I came up with were poultice remedies. It looks like I really may be out of luck since it's extremely light but I will try the linseed oil. Someone else suggested trying to "dye" it back. Does anyone have an advice or thoughts on that idea?
Old 05-12-2009, 11:49 PM   #5

Haha! As disappointed as I was, I couldn't hold him responsible. It was clearly an accident. There's plenty else I could put him the doghouse for though! Thanks for the suggestion ;-)
Old 05-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #6

get in touch with these people http://www.mbstone.com/enter_page/enter.htm I found them on the web & they say they can "restore" any stone. or go to the marble institute of America,
Good Luck, I'm sorry I don't have any suggestions for you.

granite-girl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
acid, counter top, granite, stain