Square Drain Plate For Tile Redi Shower - Kitchen & Bath Remodeling - DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Remodeling > Kitchen & Bath Remodeling

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-13-2011, 09:27 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Square drain plate for Tile Redi shower

I'm in the last steps of a shower install, and wondering how to install the square drain plate that goes around the adjustable height round shower drain. The tile has been set and grouted on a Tile Redi pan, which requires epoxy thinset, and I'm wondering if I should have set the square plate in the epoxy when I was tiling. Tile Redi also recommended Loctite Polyurethane adhesive for some repairs and divets- that stuff worked really well, but I want to do this right and have not been able to find any instructions or videos. I would appreciate any insight from someone who has had experience with this product.

Thanks
Matt

Advertisement

gagler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:45 PM   #2

Would someone please answer this question? I have the same question for my Tile Redi shower install. The dang plate is about 1/8" thick and if I just expoxy it down I'll have a large gap between it and the top of the tile leaving nice tile edges which will not be kind on the feet.

Advertisement

ouengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #3

I did see in one video and adhesive had been spread out over everything and tile was set but not the square plate. The video did not show the install of the square plate but later in the video it appeared flush with the time and I'm thinking perhaps it was but into place with thinset. Please any help would be appreciated.
ouengineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 06:55 PM   #4
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 3,342

I have no experience with those ----can you post a link to the instructions??
Old 08-28-2011, 10:51 PM   #5

I called Tile Redi and finished the job last weekend. The plate should be installed with the tile, using the Laticrete 300 epoxy. Of course I had already used all the epoxy they sent me, but the customer service rep was great and shipped the 6 lb. kit to me for $30. With my tile already set, I taped off the tile surface and filled the cavity with the epoxy so that the plate set level with the tile. This pushes the published maximum thickness of application, but it worked and the reason I hate working with the stuff is the same reason it's ideal for the job- it sets up relatively fast, sticks to everything, and becomes rock hard.

Be careful to protect the drain threads. I set a level surface ~ 2 inches around the edge of the tile with a putty knife, and then tapered in toward the drain. I kept checking it every 20 minutes or so to make sure there was no shifting and that the drain cover would still thread in. I tried repeated to clear the gaps between my tile and the flange, but that just allowed it to settle as it pushed more epoxy into the gap. I found the best method was to allow the epoxy to fully set, then clear the gaps with a masonry bit in my dremel tool. I have be careful/steady, but it takes the epoxy out cleanly with just white powder left over.

Good luck- we love our shower, and I'm especially glad to be done with it.

Last edited by gagler; 08-28-2011 at 10:53 PM.
gagler is offline   Reply With Quote